WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Feb 1st Visitors, Pansies, and the Earthquake

Hello,
                 I wanted to give you all an update about this weekends stay. The LP’s went fine, chemo was as good as it could be, had a lot of great visitors, and I intend to go home tomorrow morning. My lucky cousin, Andy, is going to make the trip once more to take me home. We hope that I feel well enough to go out to eat because I really want to do something normal before my blood counts crash. I been craving vegan chocolate cake and fried tofu from the Grit in Athens for about 3 months now. That’s a long time.






               I always forget to take pictures of some of my visitors so sorry I didn’t get everyone. My sister, Jen, and her friend Sadie came and brought me Doc Cheys and we had some girl talk. My mom came, of course, and brought some needed things and help hold the tray for the last LP. I volunteered to be interviewed by a first year PA student named Dan, and had a very through exam and medical history. I think I helped him out, but I was wore out. I told Michael, his PA mentor, that he owes me an early LP next time I want to get out of here. Our friends, Chris and Stephanie came and brought some lunch and we had a good time talking. Chris was talking about his usual favorite subject. J They just got back from a vacation in Mexico, oh the beach, I need you. Michael Chambers and his daughter Ashley came to see me. They attend my parents church and this was the first time that we have met. Michael wants to do some videos to promote be the match. Then my friend Cristian came to see me. Since I saw him last month, he has been to Chile and Europe. I’m having some wanderlust here and it ‘s going to get worse before it gets better, or I will not want to go anywhere in fear of leaving my temperpedic bed and breathing strangers air. They probably make a medication for that that they will try to give me. Ha ha  My friend Tasha and her two children came to see me today. Elise and Emily seem to like the red wig the best. They are so sweet and pray for us all the time. Tasha said that her son Jack prays more for Jonathan, for him to know what Evalyn needs. The girls are so happy that God answered their prayers about the donor. It is amazing when parents teach their children to pray, and pray with them. :) 
               I was able to get outside some this weekend. I even had someone ask me for directions like I went to school there. It's the little things.  It was so nice outside and I thought that Mr. Jim was probably fishing and thinking about me too. I was just getting good at cleaning fish: Jonathan might have to learn! Soon I will need some volunteers to come plant some pansies in the shade garden when they go on sale. I can direct but I can’t do anything in the yard for more than a year. I’m thinking about submitting an application for Extreme home makeover, maybe they will do my garden also. 

            I read one of the best books this weekend. My sister and brother in law gave it to me for Christmas. It’s called Unshaken: Rising from the Ruins of Haiti's Hotel Montana by Dan Wolley    I have a deep connection with Haiti due to the two mission trips I was able to go on. I know that some of the people that God used me to lead to Christ probably didn’t make it out of the Earthquake alive. This was a great book for me to read.  I really enjoyed how he sought the Lord throughout his entrapment, the book had some flash backs of other life changing events, and that he and so many people were changed for the better. It gives me even more hope that I can come out of this stronger and a better person. But man, I still can’t write about everything that will go on the next few months to even a year. It’s way to overwhelming. I need to just think of getting home to my family, keeping my job, and getting though the next week. I’m trying to worry about it, but it’s hard. What’s that verse about today has enough???

Jonathan is not feeling too well, please pray that he gets better soon.

They did a newspaper article in my home town on me finding a match, and it came out today. You can read it here!

3 comments:

  1. That was a great article! Cute pictures!!
    You were thinking of Matt 6:34... love that verse, but I know it is hard not to worry about things that are out of your control- we are thinking and praying for you every night (us and the boys, they say great prayers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi testing from FL sisters attempting to educate me on blogging

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope you are feeling well,Love from all my family

    ReplyDelete