WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Graduation and a Job Interview- NEED PRAYERS FIND OUT TOMORROW

           
           YES!!!! Jonathan graduated last Sat with a BAA in Accounting from one of the most difficult accounting programs in the country. We did not find out he was defiantly graduation until 9:30am on Sat and graduation was at 2pm. No one was able to come to the graduation since we didn't really but he did get to drive the Cadillac, my granddads. He said that he was the last one so he got a huge applause while he was on stage.  God likes to keep us on the edge of our seats! We were both crying, well mostly me, and praising the Lord. The Lord had given us total piece about if he didn't graduate and needed one more class, it would be fine, after all we have been through, I think we can trust the Lord with that! But..... he did graduation.... let me brag.
               My husband has had cancer too, no not in his body, but in the body of his beloved. Watching someone you love go through so much pain and suffering and keeping up with everything he had to keep up with was truly the grace and mercy of God molding us into his image one chip at a time. Just an over view, Starting Nov. 1st, I was sent to Emory via ambulance and said for 3 weeks, diagnosis with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, told I would have to find a donor and have a successful bone marrow transplant to live long term, that I would be hospitalized for chemo and lumbar punctures 5-6 days out of every 21 until the transplant., while I was almost done working to put Jonathan through school and he had one semester left. (which god had told us to do 2 years ago) Jonathan had to continue going to classes and luckily I had sitters lined up because I had just returned to work full time in Oct, which I didn't finish out that month due to the pain. I remember clearly a few days before Emory, I was standing at the kitchen counter with excruciating bone pain and told Jonathan that I felt like I was dieing. I was. Thank you God for the support of Family and Friends, your angles on earth. And to those that asked Jonathan how it was going from school and the support of the professors.
                Jonathan took over the household, Evalyn's schedule, the sitters schedule, the pups, and still made it to school and got through last semester.Our entire life changed where it became life threatening to leave the house due to fear of the flu. Then the medication I had, and have, to take, it's so much to keep straight. Once I got home from treatment at the hospital would be when the effects of the chemo would happen. Jonathan made me food, took care of me, and loved me through it all.
              Then it came to deciding about this last semester. Should he put it off, should be go part time, and get a part time job, would I be able to still work at all, would he need graduate to be able to get a job to take care of us, all the what if's.....   Some people thought it would be foolish for him to try and go to school full time, but we felt that the Lord had brought us through a pregnancy with cancer, delivered a healthy baby girl, and he had told us for him to go back to school in the process. We prayed and asked our small group for prayer and received confirmation in several ways that he should indeed attend the hardest thing he has ever had to do in his life. A confirmation did not come from UGA, no one takes that many accounting classes at once... it's can't be done. HEE HEE.  We obeyed the LORD. I'm so glad we did and I intend to for the rest of my life.
                So then we continued the 5 days at the hospital and 16 days home. We didn't get to see each other much while I was gone because he was so busy and I didn't want Evalyn in the Emory Lobby, I don't care how pretty it is. At home we were strained,  me being so tired, and Jonathan studying so much. Not a lot of room to work on a marriage. We found a donor and that was a big relief and found out the transplant would be a month earlier than we thought, putting more of crunch on study time and some stupid group projects. Group projects in college? Give me break. In the meantime, I'm having to go in extra for transfusions which would last forever. In the other meantime, Jonathan had promising interview after promising interview, some that spoke to him like he had the job for sure. It was disappointing to get shot down and see all the young kids that have no experience in real life, get jobs.
                I was gone for another 3 weeks for the transplant and we were barely able to communicate due to me losing my voice and being on so many meds. Total body radiation and the stronger chemo almost killed me, for real, they killed my immune system and then I was stuck in isolation in my room for 2 weeks. He came when he could to visit. When I got out, I needed almost total care, thank goodness my mom took off work to help! I was on even more meds and Jonathan would have to help me get them straight, and still does. He changes my dressing on my picc line each week. He is our medical biller and keeps up with all receipts to where we can be reimbursed. He takes all phone calls and make them to the insurance company, hospitals, and dr offices because I couldn't and sometimes still can't concentrate enough.
                  We prayed and God gave us peace. We prayed and obeyed the Lord. Why am I surprise that God came through on his promises? So at 9:30 am the joy and praise we felt is something that will leave a monument of faith building, mercy, and love.
We went to a small graduation party, it was so nice to dress up! This is Lila.

                 Then Jonathan got a job interview this last Tuesday that is a great opportunity and not in Atlanta. See I'm not recovered and having my husband go all the way don't to Atlanta and back, we would probably have to hire someone to help to supplement the sitters now. The last day to find out is tomorrow.... they would want him to start on Monday. We want God's will so please pray for that...
                  I'm so proud of Jonathan. He has so much love, compassion, integrity, and has followed the Lord through his life. He's some kinda Wonderful,  He lights up my life, What a man, Wind beneath my wings, My Inspiration,  and a lot of other song titles.

We love you,
Heather and Evalyn Rose

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful testament of love and gratitude to your wonderful husband,we will keep all of you in our prayers.
    Love,Judy and family

    ReplyDelete