WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Our Beloved Nanny on Mother’s Day

In honor of Nanny, I  wore one of her dresses, In honor of my Granny, I wore a wig. 
                                                         
Today is difficult for most in our family, especially the children of my late Nanny. I wanted to share a special blog that I have said I would do for a while.  A lot of it I said at the funeral but wanted to share it today.
                     Nanny, called Wayna Mae by some, was born in the mountains of North Carolina. I think that it is important to note what it was like when she grew up and what her life was like because there are so few people that we personally know left from this generation. As we all know, Nanny’s mother, Coleta passed away when she was three years old, and Nanny only met her father a few times in her life. Nanny was raised by her grandparents, Inez and Hector Jenkins.  I always admired Nanny for her attitude of forgiveness towards her father and her gratefulness for the family that she had. Nanny wrote in a journal that we worked on that she grew up with no electricity and had no running water, most of us have forgotten what it’s like to really go  camping let alone turn off our cellphones. She said that it was really cold in their house in the winter but she shared a bed with all her sisters so they managed to stay warm.
                    I can’t count how many times we have all heard Nanny say “ it doesn't matter who gives birth to you, a mother is someone who raises you and takes care of you.”  She knew that better than anyone. Family has always been very important to Nanny and this is how she was raised. I love hearing the stories of all the kids cleaning up after dinner. Nanny said that some would be washing dishes, someone would play the guitar, and everyone would be singing. Nanny and her siblings, who are mostly her aunts and uncles but considers her a sister, worked very hard along side their parents, tending to the garden and taking care of the animals. The only thing they had to buy was flour and sugar, and the occasional treat from the general store across the street. They didn’t just work though, they had a lot of fun.
              Nanny wrote about sledding down the hills on tobacco sleds, you’ll have to google that one, playing football, playing music, and visiting with friends. Nanny’s favorite sport to play was basketball and she was on the team throughout her school years. Church and God were an important part to Nanny’s family growing up as well as hard work, discipline, and self control. Something I love about Nanny is how much she loves everyone and wants to help anyone in need. Nanny remembered birthdays, but wouldn’t wait till then to give you a call and tell you that she loved you and that she was proud of you. Nanny always seemed to see the best in people and always hoped for the best.  I feel that if Nanny was able to tell us a few things right now they would include these things: don’t be afraid of hard work, most things worthwhile do not come easy, don’t start smoking and if you do, quit before what happened to me, happens to you, stay away from too much alcohol, you know that runs in our family and can ruin your life, be thankful for your life and where you are at in it, look for the good in every situation, love your family, hold them close, forgive,  pick up the phone, go out of your way to stay connected to extended family because family is important. Family is more important than a T.V. program, a job we are too busy with, or the little things that keep us so busy. At the end of our lives we will never say  “ I should have caught that episode, or been a better employee."  And most of all, Love the Lord and seek after him.  These last few years have been rough for Nanny and for those of us or watched her slowly become less herself. I think that the whole family agrees with me in thanking my mom and dad for everything they have done for Nanny these past few years.
                   Lets try to remember Nanny’s laugh, her banana pudding, her singing “hit the road jack”, and smiling and saying “Whew” when a grandchild did something cute, the trips to North Carolina, the crazy loud Christmas’s,  us grandchildren always being able to visit at anytime and have a bed, love, and  be able to be ourselves. I think that Nanny loves all of us very much and although she will be missed, I’m glad that she is no longer in pain. Nanny and I talked about this before, and she said that she believed that Jesus was her savior and that she would be joining him in heaven one day.  I believe that her and Papa Jack are together with Jesus now and they are pain free and happy. I know that I will see them again, and I hope to see you there also.
WE LOVE YOU NANNY AND MISS YOU. TIME IS NOTHING, WE WILL BE TOGETHER SOON.
1.    
     Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.
o    Refrain:
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Savior all the day long.
2.    Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above
Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
3.    Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
Watching and waiting, looking above,
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.









4 comments:

  1. Very well said, Heather. Thank you for writing this. I know today is a hard one for Nanny's children but I also know that she lives on in all of us and she's proud of us. =) Happy Mother's Day to you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderfull tribute to Nanny,Heather.I know she is looking down and wishing us all a happy mother's day,she will never be forgotten.Happy Mother's day to you too. Love,Judy and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heather. I miss Nana alot, just as we all do in our family. It's just really hard when to me it seems Nana was the glue, & everyone's fallen out of touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ann Magill FarmerMay 8, 2011 at 4:50 PM

    Thank you for sharing your loving Nanny with me. She has left a legacy of what love is about

    ReplyDelete