WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Medical update 7/18/11


             Below my neck is so tired, I literally feel like I don’t know where my feet are…. I think it’s kinda the sensation where if you had a an amputation but you kinda felt you still had an itch.  I never thought I would brag on support hose, but they have really helped the swelling go down in my feet and ankles. They don’t hurt as bad either. Geez, have you have no idea how hard these knee highs are to get on. It’s like panty hose times 50 at least. Wow, and expensive. Did NASA create them to keep blood flow up? NASA invented the bed that I love so much…. Stop calling me, temperpedic!
              I still have the rash thing going on but it seems to be getting better. I decided that the pool water on Sat was just too cold to risk making it worse. You have to weigh whether a trip to Emory is “worth it” or not. I must have done something though because my throat is hurting. As you can tell by pictures and soon to be posted video’s I am pretty swollen all over. I have the prednisone pot belly, feet, and neck. The swollen neck is making me snore a lot, which I feel is aggravating my sinus cavities even more and causing increase drainage along with some self-esteem psychosis.  (I was supposed to be a Dr.)  I may also have some issues with my sinuses after have mucosis so bad during the BMT. That was where I had sore and really gross mucus from one end to the other. Yea, it was bad. Most painful thing I have ever gone through.  
            No worries Mom, I’m going to the doc tomorrow. Not just any doc, either. He is a newer internist in town that was the head of the Dept of Internal Medicine at Emory University. I’m hoping that Dr. Khoury and he know each other but if not, I’m sure they will figure out how to start coordinating some of my care here. I didn’t want to pick a random ENT and waste my time. Everyone seems to want you to have some type of surgery now days; insurance pays out big, in case you haven’t seen our statements.
           So far, over the next 2 weeks I have an MRI of my liver, a CT scan of lungs, a bone density scan, random blood labs, and there will probably be some type of scan of sinus cavities. Discussions of menopause issues with my OBGYN should be interesting next week as we figure out what should be put in my body in the mist of this quadratic formula. My prednisone will be reduced and hopefully keep reducing and I will be starting the oral chemo again. Please pray that the oral chemo doesn’t give me migraines as it has in the past and make me so tired.
            Right now, I’m going minute by minute and glad Jonathan is here right now to help with Evalyn. This too shall change. However, I could be up in two hours organizing something. I keep thinking that recovering from this will become more stable, then there are days like this.  Music notes… "Mama said there would be days like this…."

No comments:

Post a Comment