WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Nov 24th Bob, Goldie Hawn, and 1st clinic.... and check out the new videos

This morning....

            
         Before we left for Emory for the appt. today, I got a text from the person I told you about, Family C.  She has ALL, like me. Bless her heart. I almost want to get back to the hospital sooner so I can help her through this. Well, not almost, but I’ll be back soon.  Please pray for her and her family, this next week is going to be pretty rough. Carolyn, the Wed sitter and good neighbor, said that I may be even more beautiful now. Goodness… I’ll guess I’ll just keep my head shaved; I never liked fixing my hair. Carolyn is so giving, cheerful, intelligent, and encouraging. I wish I could bottle it. 

Next time.... Marilyn or Betty
       I decided that I was going to be Goldie Hawn today since my Marilyn and Betty has not come in yet. I already had this wig that I used for dress up and it is super pretty. I have always wanted to wear this wig out places. I thought that a good place would be another church that Jonathan and I visited and I knew that we were not going to like. Ouch. Jonathan didn’t want me to wear it because what if we did like that church and then the next time I had different hair. I didn’t fight him; it was hard enough just to go somewhere. But, people might as well know that I’m a little strange right off the bat. I decided to wear a wig today, not to cover my head, not to have hair, but because it was fun and I knew that my mom and Aunt Judy would love it. I also wanted Dr. K to see the first actress before the other two…. Of course he didn’t know who Goldie Hawn was, I’m going to talk more about that with him but I gave him a break today. Instead of a big smiley face on my mask, I drew some sexy red lips. One man told Jonathan my hair was beautiful another wanted to know where I got it. The ladies at the counters now know me by the smiley mask and it gave them a laugh. I’m still working on their names….I’m going to be around for a long time, better make friends.
                   I gave blood to the vampires and then we proceeded to wait forever for Dr. K. He was super busy today and he told me the other day “I always run behind, I try not to but I do.” In a Lebanon accent. He’s worth the wait and as long as I get out before traffic that‘s all I care about. Luckily, there was plenty to keep us entertained. Mom was looking hip in her cute outfit and Judy brought some more of those delicious chocolates and a book about dogs… this time in coffee flavor. Now, we had some more people show up just because the stars aligned, I guess. What is funny is how many sides of the family we had together in the waiting room at Emory. My parents are divorced and I’m close to 3 sides of the family. Jonathan has 2 more side, so we have 5 “sides of the family”, no including that I still talk to my “ex step mother” about my siblings and we have a good relationship. I’m one of those too, you know. Nothing like the title step mother till you put an ex in front of it…. That will be a good blog.
                 I’m sure that we were a sight. I’m usually the people watcher but we were being watched today… I mean I had sexy lips on my mask and Goldie Hawn hair. We had my mom, my aunt Judy from my father’s side, Jonathan, me, my aunt Sharon that works at Emory came down to say hi and bring us some formula, and then my sister Anna and her mom Melanie were at Emory for an appointment. Whew! I had an entourage. I could see those ladies behind the desk thinking “do we have a rule about how many people can come back, or fit”. Leave it to me to break a patient room fire code my first time in the clinic. I want to be on.Emory’s board as the patient advocate, I really need to stay out of trouble.
                       For the appointment, it was just the 4 of us and conversations on babies, boots, and blood and who knows what else. At one point, I was trying on my mom’s boots and we were discussing calf sizes. Jonathan was starving was slowing eating Ritz crackers and trying to follow our 3 conversations. We had a great time with Dr. K., I think he is very nice. Jonathan found an article in sports illustrated about a marathon in Greece where they dressed up like Romans, so we gave it to Dr. K since he is running a half marathon on Thursday. He said he doesn’t do anything crazy like a full one, I thought, running is crazy. We mapped out the plan and had a few laughs. I like his nurse too, she is very helpful. Last week, Dr. K told me that he treated Nelly’s brother… who’s Nelly? Just some rap star. Still cool though. I told him that Shaq has CML and it would be cooler if he met him. He said yea.                        Maybe his people should call Shaq’s people. 
On the wall at the Clinic... I like it.
**WHAT ABOUT BOB?** When we got home, Carolyn and Evalyn were having the best time. The sweetest, best, content, happy, pretty, baby she has ever met she says. I called Mr. Frank, our super strong dock party neighbor, and he said that he would cat sit Bob for me for a little while. See Bob is a stuffed bob cat that stays in our house that I have become quite fond of. My fishing buddy Mr. Jim caught him and a fellow kitty in one of Franks traps years ago. They were trying to catch coyotes, and then had to kill the cats because there was no way to get them out of the trap and stay safe. Well, Stan and my Poppa bill decided they were going to send them off to the taxidermist. Bob kept scaring my Granny and told poppa that he had to get out of the house. So… he brought him down here. At first, I didn’t really like bob, he was more of a conversation starter and it was funny how the dogs would look at him sometimes. Picture of bob to come…..
                Then, he started to grow on me starting with naming him. Original, huh, Bob for a Bob cat. When I was teaching I had a hamster named Hammy and a hissing cockroach named Cocky. Hammy was loose in the school for an about 2 months and he was caught about 3 times his former weight.  So Bob had a prime location in the living room and I would put a hat on him sometimes or a necklace for July 4th. He actually won us the 4th of July golf cart decoration award because he was in the back, dressed up, and had one paw up as everyone waved and laughed. I had to give the prize to a little girl because she deserved it more. She was going around the tables at the picnic promoting and handing out vote for me coins. Oh, Sarah, you are so cute. 
Bob in his new home.
                    Then we had a baby. And that baby has stuff. Then Chloe needed a crate to use when visitors came over and they didn’t like being licked to death.  So poor Bob, down sized to the middle room hiding by the desk to the back room where he was at least protecting the back door.  So Mr. Frank has a lot of stuffed animals and his house just seems like a place that Bob would be happy and appreciated.  I was right. He has a great spot in the main room right beside the table! I do want him back, but he is much happier where he is now, and I can quite feeling bad about him being banished.  Frank, Evalyn, Jonathan, and I all BALD were discussing how happy Bob is there. The day just got funnier. Mr. Frank is one of the two strongest men, we know. We just thought he was made of steal and had some kind of oil that doesn’t smell bad. Mr. Frank took a step off the porch and I never thought I would see that look on his face. “oh, aw, what did I do that for, oh my feet.” Jonathan and I couldn’t help but burst out laughing. We waved goodbye and saying that we have found his Achilles hell.  Don’t worry Frank, your still the strongest J   I don’t think I realized how many stories there have about the wonderful people I call neighbors.  I have much to learn from them.  





No comments:

Post a Comment