WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jan 11th Poor hands, stupid snow, Great movie

              This treatment week has gone smoothly for the most part. I have not had any nausea, headaches, or anything horrible happen while I have been here. For that, I am thankful. I have been really tired but lets face it, I’m just going to be tired most of the time till all this is over. I’ve had some new skin issues develop, weird red spots on my hands. The diagnosis? Chemo does weird things to your skin and we will keep an eye on it. The skin around my nails is starting to look pretty weird too. It’s like my cuticles are disappearing.  I’ve had some nose/ throat issues but it has not developed into anything too bad, just a little scratchy. Back pain from the LP is normal, not too bad this time. I included a picture of my PICC because I’m not sure if I have shared that with you. It is like a little alien coming out of me with tassels. It is really helpful because I don’t have to be stuck all the time and get bruises up and down my arm.    The LP went smooth yesterday and I have one more to do this round. I have bribed the PA to try and do the LP sooner than later tomorrow, if I play him a song on the guitar. It’s all part of my plan to hopefully talk someone into coming to get me during the warmest part of the day, before traffic.

             I don’t like it when it snows like this, even when I’m home. Now it’s worse that I’m not home with my family. My mom didn’t get to come up to watch Evalyn, UGA is cancelled, roads are still bad, and as of now I still don’t know if I will have a ride home tomorrow. I want to be safe of course and don’t want anyone else to get hurt, but I’m READY to go home. Just got a call from Jonathan, the power is out now. Great. He's packing up to go to a neighbors for the night that has a fire place. The hospital staff has been amazing. Some doctors and PA’s that live close have walked 3-5 miles in the snow/ice!!  A lot of the nurses and other staff have been here since Sunday. Today they issued a cold blue which means that no hospital staff can leave right now. The food is getting worse, I hate to say. Everyone’s hair is looking worse too, except for mine, ha ha. I am slowly loosing my eyelashes, I’m pretty sad about that one.

I'm smiling, really.
Add caption

               While I have been here, I have tried to get some paper work done because I know I’m going to miss a couple of days do to feeling bad at home or appointments.  I’ve also been working on two new songs, each with a new strumming pattern, ooooo, exciting. The Hawaiian strumming pattern is a little hard to sing with, it’s going to take me a while. My parents and my sister, Jen, came to see me this weekend; my other potential visitors have been snowed in. Today, I walked around downstairs and took some pics and cursed the snow. I even turned on the T.V. while I was here. Then I got mad at it and turned it off. Not sure why I try that sometimes. I’m still reading The Emperor of all Maladies, that I told you about. Just read about the tobacco industry and the craziness it took just for Congress to admit that there was a connection to cancer. It’s amazing what money can buy…. makes me thing about the food industry influence now. I watched an amazing movie called Temple Grandin with Claire Danes. It is a true story about an girl with autism who overcomes her disabilities, graduates college, and speaks and writes on autism now. She has also invented more human ways to handle livestock.  It won a lot of awards and Claire Danes did an amazing job!  I have a brother that has autism, Scott, for those of you that do not know that yet.
I love this huge painting in the lobby!

My other favorite.

                I have been praying a lot for the Lord to give me strength to go through all of this. I pray that I have enough energy to take care of myself, Evalyn, work, and be a good wife. I pray that when I’m home alone, God gives me the strength to take care of my baby. I pray that I will ask for help when I need it and hopefully get a couple more babysitters to commit for a few hours each week. I pray against depression and hope that I can have joy in my heart each day. I pray that I will not be so anemic so that I can have more energy. I have tried to pray for other people too, but I must tell you I have prayed mostly for myself and my family these last few days. We need God’s supernatural strength. 

1 comment:

  1. Heather,

    When we went through the book of Ephesians, these verses have become even more special to me as I think of you and Jonathan. I do thank God for you!
    It is my prayer that these versus come alive and very real to you. It is my prayer that you would indeed see the rich inheritance you have in Christ. It is my prayer that you would grasp that the same power that raised Christ from the dead is available to you as well. It is when we are weak that He shows Himself strong!


    15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, 16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers. 17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. 18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms, 21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every name that is invoked, not only in the present age but also in the one to come. 22 And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
    Ephesians 1:15-23

    ReplyDelete