WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day -6 Killing me softly with radiation

Until I leave the hospital, we will number the days. It is -6 today because the day of the BMT is day 0. Then my new life begins, hopefully. I had radiation at 6 am this morning. It's a long process. They turn me on one side, line me up with the laser grides, take an X ray of my lungs for the placement of the lung blocks, and then start the radiation. Then they turn me over and do that all over again. We were lucky to get a room on 8E pretty quickly this morning and I'm already on the list to get a better room, hopefully tomorrow. I'm not unpacking yet. Jonathan had to leave this afternoon but not before we had one of the best burgers I have had in while. It was not from the hospital. I had radiation again at 1pm. As I waiting for my turn with the machine, I met a nice man who's wife was in there getting radiation on her abdomen. He said that she was having to stay here in the Hope Lodge by herself after tonight and was very nervous about it. I gave her my number and told her I was staying alone too :) I like it that way, really. I don't like to be around people when I'm sick or in pain. Speaking of pain... I'm having some horrible pain caused by parotiditis. It's like the mumps, so my jaws and neck are swelling and hurt pretty bad. So far the little pain pills are not working. I might have to go for something else. I would say I have not been in this much pain since the last week in Oct, first week in Nov. when the "shit hit the fan". I'm also having some bone and muscle pain in my hands and arms which makes it difficult to type or do anything else I want to do. But, I'm doing it anyway, because if I don't, I will still hurt and might lose it. Not sure what "it" is at the moment. I'm holding on the the next verse cause it's only the first day, wait, it's -6.

1 Peter 5:10


 10 And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

5 comments:

  1. I love you on day -6, and I'll love you on day +5000 too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that verse! I am so sorry you are in pain- thinking and praying for you every night! Love you guys!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. It breaks my heart that you are in pain. I'm at a loss for words, but I pray everyday that God will give you strength to make it through this. You are the strongest, most beautiful woman I know. Don't worry about Evalyn or the puppies! They will be just fine bc they are surrounded by people who love them! I love you so much and I'm here for you. See you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Heather,
    This is Jennifer's friend Rebecca. I have been praying for you and the rest of your family ever since I first heard that you were diagnosed. You sound like you are an incredibly strong person, and I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Just thought that I would say hello.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather. It's me Sukena. I didnt know that you were on 8E. Im sorry that you are going through this. May God the creator and Father keep you and comfort you through this time. May He reach the deepest part of you and hold you close. I pray He speaks and sings words and songs of comfort tothe inner most part of your being. Let His peace rule your heart.
    Ill see you on Monday.

    ReplyDelete