WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day +10 God heard our cries and Found me a Window

                      Praise the Lord, things are starting to look up. Luckily, I didn't have to go completely to the other side of hell before God snatched me from the fire.  My white count is now measurable meaning it is .4 today. Today was the first day in a while that I have not had to have platelets or blood. The means that the stem cells have set up housekeeping and are getting to work to make new bone marrow.  Just a little jump in my white count is helping the sores in my mouth and the doctor said that I have been doing a really good job with the oral care. I have about 5 different things I'm using and a lot of time on my hands. I was able to go out of the room for the first time today and my brother walked a half mile with me the my mom walked the other half. Later this evening, I was able to walk another half mile and then rode the bike for 10 min. I even wanted to shop today, online, so I did and it was fun. There is an art project that I have been thinking about but ended up leaving at home because I knew I was going to feel so bad. Well today, I actually found myself wanting to do something so my mom brought the stuff and I'll be able to work on it tomorrow. Doesn't sound like much but I haven't really been able to do anything or have the concentration to do much. I also got some great news today that I may be one of those lucky people that get to go home early.... maybe even Wed or Thurs..... well not home just yet. I'm going to my aunts house to stay a night or two because I have appointments at Emory all day that Friday if I am out.
                         Things that we still have to overcome is this horrible cough that I have going on. They think it is mostly just in my throat at it is really hard to get up and out do to the pain. They gave me some kind of patch to put on that is for nausea, but for me it is helping me to decrease the amount of saliva I was producing and not drool like a dog or keep the suction thing in my mouth, yuck. I also have high blood pressure and swollen feet and ankles. But I do feel a lot better today and hope tomorrow is wonderful.
                         On the home front, Evalyn and Jonathan are doing great. Jonathan has a lot of school work to do and at the same time, he is trying to get the house clean for me to come home. The big one is getting the carpet cleaned while the dogs and Evalyn are out of the house, Jonathan attends classes and takes exams, all while my mom is tied up with me. We thought that we had another week, but I'm not complaining. Evalyn is pulling herself up on things now by herself!!! She also picked up some cheerios for the first time and got a few in her mouth. Mom got a cute video, I just have to figure out how to get it on here.  Evalyn had to go to the, wow almost said vet, to the doc this week for a rash, and they weighed her: 19lbs 13 oz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We are going to pass are hand-me-down person..... this I am sad about because of the obvious money savings. I got some pretty good deals on ebay today so that was good :) Evalyn is now able to sit up and even stand up in her crib which is posing a sleeping issue. Not sure how we will work this one out, but I guess it does just like everything else. Bye Bye, cute UGA mobile.
                          Thanks for all your prayers and you support.... soon starts the next phase of warding off GVHD and infections so I don't have to come back for a "tune up." God is with me now and will be with me then. God bless you all!!

2 comments:

  1. Heather. I am so glad you might get to come home early. I did as well when I had mine. 21 days was my stay Emory for BMT. My blog is CC's Journey blogspot.org. I didn't give it to you before your transplant because my family had to post for me because I was so sick. I didn't want to scare you. But I know you have crossed over now. I have felt your pain this week and prayed for you. God bless you and family.

    charmaine marlow

    ReplyDelete