WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Home Sweet Home and a close Hospital call

9 months old!


Hey Everyone,
                   Obviously I'm a little behind on blogging, and a lot of other stuff, story of my life. Nah, my story is a lot bigger than that. I just haven't had a lot of extra energy to do much on the computer. My appointment on Friday went great and we were able to come home to Athens. It was wonderful to have our family together, including the puppies. Wallace acted a little funny like he wasn't sure if it was me or a clone of me. Maybe I smell a little different. Chloe said, "hey mom, glad your back, I have filed my reports for you to review." Evalyn seemed a little confused between Mom and I this weekend. Evalyn turned 9 months old this weekend! We put an dress on her she will probably never wear again, but hey we got some pictures. Evalyn didn't feel well due to teething and an upset tummy and she was very fussy. Let's just say we went through a pack of diapers in one day. I can't change diapers rights now, so Mom and Jonathan had the joy. We have flowers blooming thanks to people that have come over to work in the yard.
                       I was really tired and had to lay down a lot but that is to be expected. I also still have this cough which is really making my body even more tired, but my abs are looking pretty good! My voice is still very weak and I'm sorry I have not been able to call and talk to more people. I glad not to have to be back on the oral chemo yet. I think one of the most disappointing things that I didn't know before leaving the hospital, is that when I go outside I to wear one of the  the thick blue masks, for a long time. It's not just the pollen, but there is a lot of fungus in the air that make for a terrible strain of pneumonia which is still very fatal for the immune compromised.   That makes walking for exercise a lot less enjoyable. Maybe it will get better once I'm not coughing. I need to find a small exercise bike to borrow to put in the back room so I can still get some exercise the days I can't do the mask. Anyone know someone with one sitting around?
Mom, Grandma, and Evalyn went on a walk, I almost had to call someone to come get me.


No, he hasn't gotten thrown up on yet. 

                         We had a scare yesterday. I woke up with chills and sweats and checked my temp and it was 101.6. I have to call Emory for a list of reasons and a fever ove 100.5 is at the top. So I called at 4am and the doctor on call said to come in and I would be admitted to 8E. Then, once she found out I was in Athens, she said that I could wait to come to the clinic at 8:00am. Mom and I weren't sleeping good before that happen anyway and we left at 5:30am. I had to call my friend AJ at 4:30 in the morning to see if she could come over at 7am so Jonathan could get ready for school. He had a huge test yesterday and a career fair. Jonathan got in touch with his mom to come up for the day. We are calling this a Code Red. Of course, I had to pack some stuff in case I got admitted. We got there at 7:30 and they took half my weight in blood and did a nasal swab. I don't know if you have ever had something stuck so far up your nose it felt like it touched your brain but you really should try it sometime. It's like pulling out twenty nose hairs at once but worse. Then you feel extremely uneven as if they should do the other side, but you wouldn't dare to ask for that again. This was my third one this month and this lady was not as gentle. Then she told me I had a "something something" which meant my sinuses were not straight. Thanks lady. After all that, I felt like I should pee in something and was kinda disappointed that they didn't want a urine sample. Weird. We were called back fairly quickly to the ice box infusion center and thank goodness we were because I was about to tell this guy that watching a movie on a laptop (in another language, without headphones) in a waiting room of sick cancer patients was rude as hell. One of these days Alice!
               I had a very nice male nurse named Jeremy and he started me right away on IV antibiotics and said that he had paged Dr. Khoury and his nurse to let them know I was there. The following is to the tune of "the rain came down and the flood came up" So the fever went up and the pages  went out, the fever went up and the pages went out, oh for about 5 hours. Thank goodness I could stay back in the infusion center in the comfy recliners and I didn't have to wear my mask which gives me all kinds of coughing fits. My mom was so worried and I slipped into doze, after hot then cold flash, to coughing fit. They finally came on their lunch break. Dr. K said that he had thought Graft verses Host Disease on Fri and did mention that to me. It can be very serious but there are a lot of mild causes. Everyone that has a transplant has some of it. I honestly haven't read that much about it mostly because I can't concentrate enough to read. It has taken me two days to write this blog and it's getting completed now because I'm on steroids. A lot. It was wonderful to hear that I was not going to get admitted. My counts are also looking good for this week. After some IV steroids and directions to take some at home, we were off. Man I still felt awful. While I was waiting for my mom to come pick me up, I saw a girl, well a young lady on the bench outside on the phone. She was wiping some tears off her face but wasn't saying anything. She was a patient because I saw a bracelet on her arm. I felt the Lord tell me to give her my information and man I really didn't feel like it. I wasn't looking like a cancer surviver and looked way worse than her. So I got over it and went outside and told her that if she every wanted to talk to someone that she could call or email me. She said thank you. I didn't get her name.
I think she is just going to go straight to walking....

                 Last night I was so tired Jonathan had to help me to bed. I have had night sweats before but I don't think I have ever had to change everything I had on, turn on lights, wake up my husband, and generally freak out a little. Today, I feel tired but drugged and this stupid cough is not better. I am better than yesterday, so that is good. Changed my first diaper in a while today, with gloves on, and tickled Evalyn. We also went next door to eat some lunch with Jim and Eva. Mom cleaned the bathroom for more. She cleans like I do so that was great because these steroids are about to make me break rules. I wanted to go to small group tonight  but with having to wear a mask and having the cough, I decided I should stay home. Mom and Jonathan are going to go and my friend AJ is going to come help out.
               We really need a lot of prayer in the employment area. I'm having to take some medical leave because I haven't been able to keep up with work like I though I could. I'm planning to start back on Monday but obviously my plans are not what is happening. Jonathan is looking for a job and really needs some connections but it seems to be who you know now days. If it wasn't for such wonderful family and friends that has help us out financially, babysitting, food, housework, etc etc etc, well...... I guess there is so point of starting sentences out with "if" at this point. Please pray for peace for all of us. Jonathan wants so much to provide for our family, even though he is by taking care of pretty much everything, and the Lord knows the desires of his heart. No one is world is sweeter than Jonathan and should have a good job that he enjoys. He puts his heart into everything.
                  Well that's all for now. I would say no news is good news, but that is not the truth. If something happens again like yesterday, I'll try to get Jonathan to update the blog with a short one so you all are not left wondering. I'm glad you wonder because it means you care. Thank you for caring.
I didn't proof read this.....and I don't care.
This girl looks like her Daddy most of the time. Good thing he is cute. 

2 comments:

  1. Evalyn is SO cute!

    Don't worry about the proofreading, you have a great excuse. Thinking good thoughts for you and Jonathan's job situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather. Its Sukena. I am praying for you and your family right now. I love the pictures of Evalyn Rose. I pray that God takes care of ALL your needs. You are an inspiration to me.
    Love Sukena

    ReplyDelete