WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cancer, Chemo, Crap, Clinical Trials, and a Cape

(A guest blog by Jonathan Cape)

                I am writing for heather today, because the IV chemo has been rough. She is currently sitting in her bed with her eyes closed, looking like she is trying not to throw up.  She has thrown up a few times over the last few days, has loose bowels (that’s code for the ‘d’ word)  and has had awful headaches.
                Heather was supposed to go home today, but that didn’t happen. They kept her here because she had a fever and very low platelets (she’s at 4000… at 3 times that, they would have still given her a platelet transfusion).  Doctor Khoury walked in right after I did, and he told us that her fever is gone and that she’ll be going home tomorrow (though nothing is ever for sure around here until it happens).
                We got the news today that they did find that the cancer cells have a mutation.  That mutation makes Sprycel ineffective, which stinks because that was the last of the three leukemia pills… but on a positive note, the Sprycel made Heather feel like crap and now she doesn’t have to take it.
                So in about a week and a half, she will be starting a clinical drug trial.  If that drug doesn’t work, then there is another drug on trial to that she can try.  (And I found another positive note:  because the drug is on trial, that means its free. FREE DRUGS!!!  YEAH!!!!)  Please pray that one of these two drugs works.
               
                So, in closing, let me tell you how wonderful my wife is.  This girl is in real pain and is sick as a dog (that’s a weird saying… our dogs are barely ever sick), yet she makes the best f it.  She sings for patients and doctors, she prays for people, she spreads the word about ‘Be the Match’, and she does whatever she can to make this situation not so bad.
                Don’t get me wrong, she has had some rough times, and she may want to give up hope, but she won’t.  She’s too strong.  And she’s too stubborn. And she’s a fighter.   She’ll win this fight.  And the Lord will win this fight because of her.  Even if cancer takes my wife from me one day, cancer won’t have won.  Cancer has just given her an opportunity to shine… an opportunity to tell this world about our Lord’s saving grace and about her story.  And we’re all better people because of grace and because of Heather Warren Cape and her story.

4 comments:

  1. We're all thinking good thoughts for her... she's lucky to have you to support her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting Jonathan. Praying and trusting one of the experimental drugs is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you sister! I'm praying for you and if this doesn't work then prehaps we can try the Gerson Institute!! I'm studying up on it!

    ReplyDelete