WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Just when My pill box was looking Drab.

             
      Yea, be positive, keep your chin up, God is in control, but that is not how I feel right now, and neither would you. Not that I don't appreciate your kind words and that you care :) Pretty much knew yesterday when I decided to go have some labs drawn here in Athens that the cancer was back. It was great to see my friends at GA Cancer and have then see Evalyn. They confirmed that today at Emory. Thankfully my husband was able to get off work to watch Evalyn, my brother Daniel took me part of the way to Emory and we met up with Andy, my cousin, then we met my sister at the appointment who took my scrips to the pharmacy, then Andy met back up with Daniel to take me home. Whew! Takes a village to raise a child, my ass, it takes my whole family to get me to the doc and watch the baby. I had some more labs completed at Emory today. One of the labs will indicate if I have a certain genetic mutation where the oral chemo will not be of assistance. The next step after that is getting more donor cells and doing something like a "booster" one time a month, and then there are clinical trails, more chemo, more transplants, more meds, so at least I'm not backed into the wall. There are options. I'm sure someone at Emory today was told that they can't do anything else for them and they have such and such to live. I was not given a prognosis, however, because basically I'm a lab rat and on the breaking ground of new science. They can't give me what hasn't had enough people my age with ALL plus PH positve, post transplant, now relapsed, female that I am. I cried some in the doctors office when I told Dr. Khoury I was scared. He is such a wonderful doctor, I'm so lucky to have him and the other compassionate staff at Emory. He said that this may be lap one of six and to strap on my seatbelt. Is this a Lebanese saying, I'll have to ask him. I stopped one med, reduced one, and added 4 new ones in one day. You don't even want to know the side effects, but one of them, Sprycel (oral chemo), I had a lot of trouble with when I was on it pre-transplant. I didn't ask a lot of questions that I could have today.... it was just all overwhelming.... and I try to keep some composer for the people around me.  Why? I have no idea.
           On Friday, I will have more labs completed and a possible LP to test my spinal fluid to make sure that the cancer has not spread to my spinal cord and brain, which is one of the favorite places for leukemia cells to hide. I'm not sure what all this means right now in relationship to how my life is right now. Do I have to resort back to rules I had 6 months ago? I'm scared to ask. I was just feeling like I was getting in the flow of my "new normal", nothing will ever be "normal" again. But my new normal consists of me exercising by going to dance, yoga class, walking, all without a mask, volunteering with kids music 1x per month, sleeping with my  dog, taking care of my little girl, Evalyn going to play dates, me helping to take care of my grandparents more, cooking more, cleaning more.....you get the idea. I will know more details over the next week or so, in the mean time, I'm just going to try and go about in the "newest normal" I know and pray that I have the strength to so do. God have mercy.

6 comments:

  1. Praying 24/7. I'm here if you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today's devotional was about being willing to follow God wherever He leads us. To quicken our pace and though we do not know what is ahead, He does; and that is enough. He has the richest blessings just around the corner, out of sight, but real all the same. To receive them we must walk by faith-not by sight. Not that we should close our eyes to what is around us, but subordinate to the shepherd of our soul letting Him lead us up the mountain and see the view being separated from the world and its problems to experience the joy in His presence. Eventually He will lead us back down the mountain into community with others to let our light shine as we walk among them again. Scripture references are 2Cor 5:7; Psalm 96.6 & 36:9; John 8:12
    I know you have experienced this before, you will be okay Heather. You are NOT a statistic, you are a miracle! Please keep blogging. You are a hero and an inspiration.
    In Love Your ALL Ph++ Sister in Christ,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey lady, I really hate to see that your leukemia is back. But I know that this road takes all kinds of bends and even with that we have the strength and help of our families, friends and Dr. Khoury. You are in my thoughts all the time! Take a moment to settle and then get your kickers back on.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my name is Andreea Stowe(McSpadden), and I went to youth group with Jonathan. I feel led to give you this information about a doctor in Houston, TX that performs cutting edge cancer treatment using antineoplastons. He treatment regimin has cured the most aggressive and hard to treat cancers. Dr. Burzynski has a website at www.burzynskiclinic.com

    ReplyDelete