WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Is anyone reading this?

Does anyone know how to post comments? Or are my blogs so blah and depressing that you don't know what do say...  sharing things that you have went through, or how God is working in your life. Everyone seems to think "oh. what I'm going through is not so bad compared to you". Bullshit. It's all relative. Everything is.

If you have more money you may spend more than me, if you have only had a broken bone your "10" level of pain may be my 7. All my issues do not negate yours as not as important. So please share with me so I don't feel so alone sometimes in the world. Don't get me wrong I have a few that post comments but sometimes I feel like I'm just writing to the wind or God, guess it doesn't matter, I'll still record my story.

Over on the right side there is a link called blog directions, if you want to ask me about them go ahead. The least you could do is comment on how cute Evalyn is or how my face is fat. 0 comments depresses me.

Hope that wasn't too rude. I woke up with a backache and everyone's grouchy around here this morning.

Off to meet someone that went to Ikea for me, a meeting for my brother, 2 emory appts (we hope, you never know when they will stick your ass is the hospital, still haven't been able to get the med I need this week, hence why I bring the important things, my pillow and iPod) then off to 316 again and small group. I have 5 people helping me today... 3 for the tot and 2 to meet me. Pray for safe driving.... yes, I'm taking myself.

I'll get myself together and God will help me see things more positive... just gotta get on the road and turn on my forrest gump soundtrack. 

29 comments:

  1. I love you Heather and your frankness! And I read your blog from time to time.but never comment..my morning is grumpy as well..Gabriella woke up on the wrong side of the bed way too early this AM ad the whole house is suffering from it..that's my complaint right now. And btw..Evalyn is an absolute doll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still amazes me how many kids you have and I know you are doing a great job with them. So funny how a little grumpiness goes a long way, makes me want to shop online.

      Delete
  2. Quit yer bitchin and go watch half-baked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I may would do that if I didn't let my brother borrow it and he lost it, so if you see it on the 5 dollar rack.

      Delete
  3. Um...I saw some bug bites on Martha and now I think we have fleas!!!! Noooooo!!! Now I'm sitting at work thinking about those tiny pests invading my house and not being able to do anything about it until I get home tonight. That's my current problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, we had a flea situation the day we got back from our honeymoon... something you can do that it natural is place a bowl of water with a couple drops of soap in a bowl and place a light above it. Also, this spring you can use nematodes, which is a worm that is dehydrated that you put in the yard in the spring and they come alive and EAT flea larva... it's awesome.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I read this every single time you update it. And yet I don't always comment because...do you get sick of me saying that I love you and I'm thinking about you? If you don't, I'll comment with that EVERY TIME!

    Be as bitchy and grouchy as you want.

    But you are right, everything is relative. So me...at this exact moment I am wondering why Emilie was up an hour early. I was not ready. I'm tired due to perpetual lack of sleep (up writing so I can pay bills) and a toddler with an energy level of 12 when mine is usually a 5. I'm also scratching like crazy because my eczema is back. I don't know what I did, maybe some bleach, no idea...and I'm going to have to go back to the dermatologist because the creams I have aren't doing anything. He'll probably put me on prednisone again. Tiny dosage compared to yours but it makes me hyper and cranky. So there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your so funny, I KNOW you read it and give comments. Love that are kids are close in age and we can share that. check this out http://essentialsoapsinc.com/index.php

      She hand makes this stuff and the Light gel cream is all I can use, even around my eyes. I'm going to stop and get you some to try, I'm almost out anyway and will be right there. I know skin issues are annoying.... for poison ivy, I have to drink a bottle of wine and pour bleach on it. Poppa Jack's receipt. Of course, drinking might not help you write. I'd like to read more of what you write by the way.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I am going to put some on tonight.

      If you Google my name, you can find a lot of my articles that way. I also write for a magazine called How It Works, but it's British and the last time I checked, you could only buy it at Barnes & Noble.

      Delete
  5. As a former blogger I can relate. It sometimes (most of the time) feels like nobody is reading... but they are! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read most all of your posts. But I really don't know what to say. I wish I could give you a huge hug, but I'm 3,000 miles away.

    Life is actually really good out here in Seattle. Nothing to complain about outside of the political environment and the threat it has on my business and livelihood... but, I'll get through all of that, I'm sure.

    HUG!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hope to go to Portland to visit when I'm able to fly. I understand that people don't know what to say sometimes, but it was like no one was saying much. Politics , yuck.. Do you still have that awesome couch? Hugs to you to Chris... thanks for reading.

      Delete
  7. I read. I care. I pray. You don't know me...but I "read" your heart...and my heart aches for you. I came across your blog while researching CML and BMT. My b-i-l is in blast phase. While a BMT is his only option...it is not an option in his case. He is 57 and is developmentally challenged. He just would not be able to mentally, emotionally, or physically handle a BMT. The closest BMT hospital is 4 hours away. At times I wish it were an option. Then I read your blog and I know we have to face the facts...it just is not an option. He was diagnosed in '09. Gleevac failed. The doctor's gave him only 2 months last September. He is currently taking Sprycel which has kept him alive this long, but it is only a matter of time...his blast counts are climbing again. We are grateful for the time he has had and hope he has several more months here on earth. While we will grieve...what is so bad about going to Heaven? This earth is not our home. My husband says it this way. His brother has never been first in anything in his life...ever. Looks like he is going to be first in the only thing that really matters...going home.

    I am grateful you are a woman of faith. I admire you honesty. Truth is truth...and it needs to be told. Say anything you want to say. Be true to yourself. Don't deny or hide your feelings. You need a safe place to vent. This is a safe place - rant, kick, scream...and then remember that no matter how out of control your life seems - God is still in control and your are His child. His love for you is like your love for Evalyn - unending and everlasting.

    The biggest lesson I learned in my life was over 5 years ago (at the age of 53), and I learned it from an 89 year old woman who was in a nursing home with Parkinson's and full dementia - and that is the importance of PRAISE. Not just thanking God for what he has done (which usually is about us) but praising Him for WHO he is. I met this special lady when I was going through a particularly tough time in my life. God took a person that society would have thought had no value - and used her to impact my life in incredible ways. Praising God for who HE is helped me keep things in perspective while facing the impossible.

    God is using you to impact others. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. Whether your healing is here on earth or whether your healing comes when you hear the words "well done my good and faithful servant", KNOW that you can do ALL things through Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny you said that at the end.... I came to peace with the fact that I will be healed whether I'm on earth or heaven. I'm so sorry, I worked with people with developmental disabilities and my brother actually has autism. I can't imagine him having to go through all this, but also, kids do it and bouce back. I know it has to be very hard.

      Delete
  8. Heather, I check for and read your blog consistently. My husband and I saw you on the news in Atlanta when you were looking for a match for your BMT. At one visit last spring, we saw your card and balloons on the table on the 3rd floor at Winship outside of Dr. Khoury’s office and we read your shared heartfelt thanks to those who had taken care of you there. We have been reading your blog faithfully since hearing your story and we have been lifting you up in prayers faithfully. You are a witness to so many whose lives you touch because of your sharing your heart through your journey.

    My husband was diagnosed with ALL in February, 2010, and is currently in remission and in maintenance with daily and weekly chemo along with monthly labs, a doctor visit (with Dr. Khoury or Marian), and an infusion at Emory. We are grateful for the medical care that he has received and that he continues to receive at Emory and like you, we take one day at a time, grateful and thankful to God for each one.

    You have a beautiful daughter and a loving family and support system that God has given you. You have a beautiful voice that God has given you to use to sing and what a blessing it was to hear you sing for your friend. God has given you a creative and unique ability to write and share your heart in ways that others can relate to God, to you, and to themselves.

    God is in control and we know He loves us through everything that we go through although we don’t understand why things happen as they do. Please continue to share your story and your beautiful pictures and your beautiful voice and please forgive me for not commenting sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be praying for you and your husband. Thank you so much for letting me encourage you. The Lord is so good to us all and glad I can be used by him to help others. Is there a chance for him to get a BMT?

      Delete
    2. My husband was blessed to have two perfect matches with two sisters, one older and one younger than him (he has one brother and six sisters). My husband is 58 and he was given a choice between maintenance and a BMT and he chose maintenance. We are very grateful for where he is today in his treatments. We went to MD Anderson for a second opinion (although we knew Emory and everyone there that had a part in his treatment were awesome) in June of last year and God gave us a peace about the decision of continuing with maintenance. Thank you for your prayers and your kindness! We will continue to check in on you and we will be praying for you and your family too!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pam, what is your husbands name so I can add him to my prayer list. Wow two perfect matches... I hope they have already harvested some of those special cells!

      Delete
    4. Heather, his name is Harold and thank you for your prayers. Thank you for the update on your visit to Emory. Harold goes tomorrow for his monthly lab, doctor visit, infusion, and a breathing treatment too. Your update made me laugh too and always good news to hear you don't have to go back for a couple of weeks! Enjoy your time with your daughter and husband and family and please continue to share your thoughts and feelings! You could write a book! Love your sharing scripture on your blog too! You are touching more lives than you know!

      Delete
  9. Hi Heather - You don't know me either but I read your blog everytime you post, from your very first one! My husband was diagnosed with CML Oct 2010 at age 33 and I first saw your posts on the Daily Strength website where I posted for a while. We live in California and my husband is doing well on the medication. It was very scary for a while but we have found strength in God and give thanks everyday that He has helped us through. You are very inspirational and I pray for you and your family. Much love - Steph

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, thanks for letting me know your there! I'm so glad that he is doing well on his medications and that you are seeking the Lord.

      Delete
  10. I will try to post again! Evalyn and I enjoyed a nice walk around the lake,she wore me out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read.. think good thoughts for you.. not entirely sure what else to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Steve, let me know if there is anything I can pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve is one of my good friends and I've known him for over 15 years now. He is such a kind and wonderful person, and I love that he keeps up with your blog. :)

      Delete
  13. I am reading, Heather! :) My CML journey has been different than yours, but you're right - it's all relative. I've got issues, TKI side effects, anxiety, re-evaluating life, and all of that fun stuff going on. I just want to be around to support my wife and see my kids into adulthood and hopefully beyond. Unfortunately, I often get discouraged that I won't get that opportunity and that the drugs will quit working and that I'll fall hard and fast as a result. Your fighting attitute, however, always peps me up and it's always a plesaure to bump into you at Emory. Keep the fight!

    ReplyDelete