WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Medical update 4/3- Hospital Admission number... who gives a bunny tail.







Brought my letters and drawings from a class in CA. Thank ya'll so much!!! It sure makes my hospital room and my art room at home colorful and hopeful. Thanks for reminding me that God heals and that your are praying for healing. Thank you for saying a sing pretty, and that God is my warrior. Your class is in my prayers too, let me know if you want me to pray for anything specific! 
                             


       Well here I finally am, done with admissions, hooked up to fluids, got my pics up, lap top up, calm music and lamp, sitters lined up for at least the next 24 hours, still sick, tests started, first visitors and hubby gone, Easter eggs filled for staff, morning the death of my I pod and not getting to take Evalyn fishing for the first time today.... trying to make the best of it.



Conversations with Staff and Thoughts in My Head
What is your name again? (say it 10 time is my head then think) "Don't mess with the a bald bunny baby because this is my like 12th admission and I've been through hell and back,  just try to get in my way...... I'll eat you for .... well I'll just eat you." Say.... Please Bring me the comfy red chair that is suppose to be in my room, (I know I have paid for it already.) Here is a nice organized list of my meds, labeled am, mid day, pm, accordingly and it needs to stay that way, I will give myself shots thank you, no I do not want my urine or poop measured, no I want my IV on the leftside, I will be giving myself national supplements, here they are look them over......   the chair please.   Oh, hear is an Easter Egg with some candy and a bible verse. Have a nice day. Yes, I'm fine alone here... (sometimes you are in the hospital so much your family gets tired of coming and they have their own life, like work and school, and they are hurting too.)  Others will be by though, friends will go out of their way, staff will come by that I love, and if nothing else, other family will bring food, if I get bored I'll lead a yoga class or go play the guitar for someone that needs me. Or practice, paint, read, or something else to entertain myself. Or I could always get unhooked and go outside and see the flowers and meet someone cool and get them to sign up for be the match. I have the Lord, I am never alone. So by the way, I'm fine now, could I be left alone without a beep, a stick, a question, a poke, etc for like 30 min????  


First visitors getting pumped for Easter, I mean Baseball. 

My sweetie set up my room for me just like I like it..... I'm picky after being here so much, and helped me hang up stuff before running off and leaving me for a baseball game... just kidding I had to beg him to go.... Hope you have fun babe you deserve it. 

Thank you God for onion soup from Inoko's in Athens. 
                    

                    The Plan Thus Far


I saw Dr. Khoury today, nice green shirt, he seemed calm, as usual. I have lost 8 pounds, awesome, wrong way though. So here is the deal. It could be 4 different things: 
1. oral chemo- need this to live, so hopefully if it is a side effect it will go away
2. C-diff- a virus they are already treating with meds I started yesterday
3. CMV - a virus most people have, bad in BMT patients, don't really know what the answer is on this one
4. GVHD - Graft Vs Host Disease- Just got over the rash, got it in my eyes, I hope I don't have it in my gut too.... or I'm never going to get off these steroids that are cause my bones to crumble and me to be overweight. 

Funny how you have to watch what you say.... a couple months before getting admitted that first Nov 10, I complained the " I never get room service". Well buddy, I got room service for 3 weeks at the hospital."  A few weeks ago, I wrote and made the comment that I wouldn't be surprised if they made me put stuff in my ear and up my butt next. Well buddy.... tomorrow.... I get a GI Scope right up the batootie, I think that is a word. They said they would put me out, oh thanks, that make me feel a lot better, sedation is sooooo safe. 

For the bones issue we found out about the last time I was here, they are hoping I can see the doc while I'm here so I don't have to have that extra appointment. I told doctor Khoury that he was the one with the strings. 

They said something about my blood sugars but I don't know.... guess we are keeping an eye on them. 

BP is low, so they took me off the medication for now, it's because I am dehydrated. Heart rate is high as always.



Get Down Heather.... like Dance get down. Not slow down.

Plans........ I make plans, as should you, I make plans to have an art/vintage booth at a shop in the fall, to go on my trip in 2 weeks and another trip in a month, I make plans to go to Evalyn's first easter egg hunt on Sat and try a new church on Sunday, to work on her potty training, manners, and have lots of fun and plllllaaaaaayyyyy. To see the Blue Angles at the end of this month. To have an easy garden area in front of Evalyn'sappt on Friday. Will they all happen, in my condition, probably not, will some of them, yep. 
Without plans, things do not happen, things and events happen to you, but to create something out of nothing takes some creativity. That's what I like to do.... plan and organize, in my own messy way. Today, I had planned to  go fishing for the first time this year, and take Evalyn fishing for the first time. We were going to take pictures of my Granny and Pops back yard..... it looks like a botanical garden, you wouldn't believe it. Hope to get pictures or get someone to do it!!! Until then, someone catch and clean me some fresh fish because I may be starving when I leave here. 




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Q_8DvipCA-   link to video





5 comments:

  1. I like your cards from California- how did y'all even connect? Just wanted to say I love you, am thinking about you, and am continuing to pray for you!
    Love Always-
    AJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, Thinking of you and praying for you too. Love the cards you have posted in your room there and love your sense of humor and your planning and your encouragement to others and your positive attitude. You are an inspiration to others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, you two! The teacher there is the sister of a girl that knew Jonathan in either high school or college and started read the blog. I love you too!
    Pam are you related to Amanda that is being treated here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, no I'm not related. Hope and pray you are feeling better. My husband, Harold, just found out this week that his ALL is back. He was in remission for a little over two years. He is being admitted Monday and will receive chemo this week. The goal is a 2nd remission and then a bone marrow transplant. He has two sisters that are perfect matches and his sister Kay is going to donate her stem cells to Harold. Are you still at Emory? Maybe we will have an opportunity to meet in person, maybe not the best circumstances to meet in, but it would be a blessing to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I am feeling better. Thank you. I'm so sorry to hear that his cancer is back, but we are so lucky to have the best Doctors there and the fact that he has related perfect matches is going to make recovery so much easier. I will be at Emory on Thurs for 2 appts. I would love to meet you! Just let me know where you are, I have to go to the hospital part anyway to take one of the staff something. My email is heather.cape@yahoo.com if you want to exchange phone numbers.

    ReplyDelete