WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Savannah, Ossabaw, and the Sounds of Music

I stayed up super late by myself one night in  Ossabaw,  painting, I did this piece, after the song
"God danced the day you were born. Here is a link to a fun video of my favorite song we sang and I have been able to share it will some patients at Emory, my small group, family, and friends.
God danced the day you were Born.

This was the first trip that me, my sister Jennifer, and my mom have ever went somewhere with just the girls.... I say Niagara Falls or California next! We had a great time and I can't wait to plan my own trip down to Ossabaw when I'm better. We will study art, and who knows what!
Savannah Smiles
Savannah is such a wonderful place. We loved the hotel that we stayed in and seeing the old courtyards. I don't think I could ever get tired of it. It is one of the few places that I would be willing to move if the pay was right, but then again, Emory should would be far away. 

I love my sister so much. She is a beautiful person inside and out.  One day, she will realize that she deserves someone that is going to treat her so well, that God has a plan for her, and she is going to have some cute red headed babies. Thank you Jennifer for helping to take care of me on this trip and being my " work horse" when I couldn't carry all my junk.

Alas we have the chickmuck.... hey I look pretty good for all the meds  I'm on. You should have seen how I protected us on the streets of Savannah. I had to threaten one man with my knife. It was in jest but I was serious. Don't mess with Heather and her peeps. 

We had to basically make mom get dressed up and put on makeup, brush her hair, and be the beautiful women she is. It's been a rough year and this year it looks like the Lord is going to mold us even more.....

Love all the colors that we are wearing. 

I had the most expensive meal out of the three of us, not sure how that happened but I got the best blackened scallops anyone could ever have.

We can get the giggles and not be able to breath. 

I have the best Mommy in the world. She would and has dropped everything for me. Praise
the Lord that we caught her ovarian cancer early last year! I would not have made it with out her.

My right brain is not working as well as the left anymore. 

We met some great people! Some were already bone marrow donors! 

Someone who is going through a hard time like me.... but we like our wigs!!!

Every once in a while, when I'm out, I'll ask someone if I can play a couple of songs.

My sister provide amazing back up of course!



Ossabaw Island
Ossabaw is indeed and enchanted place. I have been there many, many, time and  back wood camped. I knew i couldn't do that this go around and thought this singing workshop with Elise Witt. We learned so many wonderful, positive songs, and although both trucks that I could have used to see more of the island was broke down, it was good I didn't push myself more than I did. I had a lot of pain with the swelling and   had to sit down a lot and even missed a couple of the sessions, but most importantly, the Emory chopper didn't have to come and get me. I brought a lot of stuff. I did a shell talk, had field guides, extra first aid, and raised a little money toward Be the Match. I'm planning on getting my own trip together as soon as I am able to hike a long ways. The ladies and men that I met were so positive and sweet. I'm not putting any names down here because I have not gotten their permission. Thanks for a great trip!

On the boat headed toward Ossabaw!!


The hike to the dock, the beach was a ways away and my camera was dead so I hope someone will send me some pics of that day!

I love spanish moss.... it grows from particles in the air. 

This place was post compared to the camp site I'm used to!

Jennifer has a thing about jack assess, just kidding that's me... I want to name mine Mary. 



Gotta take a break sometimes....


Determined to fish in my new pin up girl swimsuit at the dock and get a little vitamin D. 

Our group!
Our leader said that in 7 years Sandy West, former owner had never heard them sing and now she has!




The donkeys would line up to take their turn at the water. 

We had some great people that always helped in the kitchen... my only contribution was snapping pics,a cherry apron, and giving encouragement...my feet were too swollen to do much.

Well, I did do my share!

We met some of the most lovely ladies, not putting names down at this point. 

No skitters or chiggers messed with me...... of course I didn't take a bath for 3 days, but it worked!!


These love bird kept laughing at me!



She not only gave me a massage but taught me two great songs for  Evalyn. 

Singing "Venus between us:"

Add caption
Sometimes you have to have a cigar to keep the bugs away..... you just do. 


Jen and mom singing. Mom was impressive!! There was once that I looked across the
room at Jen and said "Where is mom" and she said that she was " right beside me". My mom
was singing so well that I didn't even know it was her. 


On the dock, skipping out on class but we needed some time together! 





My main catch of the day.... I picked it up just right were it peed on the ground instead of me.... that never happens. Final count- 0 fish, 8 crabs, 1 toad, spotted 3 raccoon, 4 deer, many donkeys, 3 Alligators, 2 boars, and a group of piglets. Although I did not get to use my new air force issued pilots survival knife, getting stuck breifly in the marsh while catching bait crabs and pulling myself out by my boot straps, did provide some excited for this country girl. 

Our cook was amazing!!


We stopped by Bonaventure cemetery. I have a thing for cemetery's. 



The Lord.


I hope to be able to add a few more pictures to this. One day I forgot to charge up camera so  I need some of the beach pictures, and the alligators!! 


2 comments:

  1. LOVE the photos! Looks like a really fun girls' only weekend, Heather! PS-I'm a huge fan of the buzz cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow..what a great blog! i love it . i will check up on you often. yes, you can post the video of me doing "grow straight and tall" (i think). You three really made quite an impression on me. love your accents! i know , you think I"m the one with the accent.. haha. love and peaches (from bug free minnesota well, until i brought them back with me from georgia.. )

    ReplyDelete