WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Monday, December 27, 2010

Dec 27th Granny back in, had a no stress holiday, I'm still happy

Hello,
            I hope all of you are well and had a wonderful Christmas. First some prayer requests, my Granny had to go back in the hospital for a few days for treatment. Please keep her in your prayers and my sweet Poppa Bill that won't leave her side. I worry about him being up at the hospital, they are germy places, and as he says "he's not buying green bananas". Also, my brother is having some minor health issues is his digestive system. He's part mine, so I worry about him. It must get on his nerves sometimes when I change from cool sister chick to sounding like a worried mother. Well, that's just me. Don't forget Jonathan in your prayers, he has a whole lot on him right now and a lot riding on a job that he doesn't have yet. I'm excited that he got some money to purchase a new suit for interviews. He's so handsome! Evalyn has been really healthy so far this winter and we would like to keep it that way. Please continue to pray that migraines do not return, that I'm able to maintain my job, and that we can keep afloat. It always seems to be something. Last week, a vet bill, the week before Jonathan had a tooth break and that is going to be really expensive. Lord have mercy!
                We had a wonderful Chritmas and are looking forwared to the next week and a half of being together before I return to the hospital. Taking a few days off work was also nice. We were able to visit with our neighbors Mr. Jim and Eva before they left for their daughters house. I love being around these people. They say swell things like " If he ain't a bird, there's not a cow in Texas." and "Your on prayer lists from Maine to Miami!" and other sayings that I hope I pick up. Mr. Jim said that we can go ice fishing soon, not really, the last time we tried that we couldn't get the boat out and Jim cut his finger on ice. He got in trouble and we only moved the boat 3 feet. I'm pretty sure I was pregnant at the time.
                 On Christmas Eve we were able to see my Granny and Poppa for a little bit. She seemed to be feeling better but still has to go back for an IV. My Granny is so sweet and protective of me. Don't mess with me or you will see the most petite fireball coming your way! I hope to go see her tomorrow at the hospital, with a mask on of course, and surprise her with some of my mom's pound cake, which is actually her recipe. This stuff is so good, it is my favorite kind of cake although Publix chocolate cake is a close second. My in laws, Carol and Frank come to visit. It was a great visit and now we have a new faucet for our sink. Carol gave me one of the most thoughtful gifts ever. There was a vintage green lugged set at this shop called Agora's in Athens. I had mentioned at the end of August about them and how much I LOVED them. At anyother time finanicial in my life, I would have spulged and brought them for myself. I was wallowing in self pity and even took a picture! I'll add a picture on here so you can see how cool they are. I will be going back and forth from the hospital in some serious style! The snow was very pretty too!
                   My Mom , Dad, and Daniel came up for a quick visit on Christmas Day/Night. Poor Jennifer had to work but we were able to see each other during the week. We made steaks and Mom made everyone breakfast the next day. They spent the night but had to high tail it out of here in the morning due to the weather. They made it home safety thank goodness. It was great to have my family see how big Evalyn is and all the things she is doing now. She loved sitting next to one of my parents dogs, Baily, on the couch. She squealed, cooed, giggled, belly laughed, smiled, and was sweet as pie. Daniel had a good time feeding her avocados and bananas. She is really getting into eating now. She leans forward and holds out her hands. Sometimes, she will grab the spoon and put it in her mouth. We are going to start the sign for "more" this week. Evalyn also loved hearing my Dad and brothers deep voices, this proves that she is even more a Daddy's girl :)
              We received some really great gifts. Jonathan picked out some diamond earrings that I like and will cherish forever. The two of us, of course, were not supposed to get each other anything. He is such a sweetie, he actually gave them to me weeks ago because I didn't have many earrings to wear with my new bald head.   I continue to be humbled by the generosity of people in these difficult times. This is a big one.... we were adopted by my mom's work this Christmas. Even to write it, I feel a little ashamed. I know that there are so many people in need right now, and they chose us this year! We received clothes for Evalyn, gift cards, matching scarfs hat, PJ's, and quite a bit of money. Another thing that was humbling, and I hope that she doesn't mind me saying it, is that my LITTLE sister wrote us a check. Wow! It's very odd to me that my my sister, that I always felt I had a responsibility to look out for and protect, is now helping to take care of me. It really touched my heart and still brings tears to my eyes. Don't worry, Daniel will hop on board one day, I have been brain washing him since he was a kid that when he had any money he would give me a cut ha ha.




        


Christmas Soap Box- Beware
                I may upset someone off with this next part, but this is how I feel and this is my blog :) First, I love all sides of my family and LOVE seeing them, so no one get an idea that i don't because that would be untrue. One of my favorite things about this Christmas was the ability to STAY AT HOME. I have never in all my life been able to do that. There are several reasons why this was nice. See growing up I had 3 families due to my parents being divorced and being close to my step dad's (DAD) side. Now that Jonathan and I got married, that increased to 5 families because his parents are also divorce. This makes for some extremely stressful holidays, due to travel not family, and it always stinks to have to say " Well, we already said we would go here and the family get togethers are at the same time" or " This year we are doing Christmas here because we didn't last year." There is no one on any of the sides of family that have 5 families so sometimes I feel that we are not understood too well in that department. It's understandable, it's hard to understand something you have not been through. We also have dogs and the holidays are difficult to get people to watch them and it is so expensive to board them. It stinks to have to ask, "well, can we bring the dogs, because we will be coming through Atlanta with them." I also do not like the feeling of HAVING to buy something for someone. I love buying gifts but more on my own time because that is when I find the special stuff. I love gifts but find it wasteful to get and give stuff that people really don't need.That part didn't really happen this Christmas due to financial issues so everyone got pics of Evalyn, which they need of course. People seemed to get us stuff that we needed too and many were very thoughtful. I'm more talking about most Christmas's. Image having 5 sides of the family: gifts tend to get pretty overwhelming. Which so many sides of the family I really feel it would be easy for Evalyn to be bombarded with so many gifts that she grows up thinking that is the reason for Christmas. I was kinda like that as a kid with on 3 families. Plus I think the most special gift is spending time with people that you love. I love to go bowling, out to eat, play a board game on a hike, or a museum, or even concert with people.  So Sue me. I also think that Jesus was probably born in March when it was warmer :
                     Continuing with the Soap Box- At one point, I felt that I had a great idea about the week of Christmas. Me, Jonathan, and Evalyn would get the hell out of dodge and go some where warm every year. To me, we make a point of seeing family during the none holiday seasons. I honestly don't know anyone that keeps up with their cousins, aunts, and uncles the way the we do. We are always inviting people to come visit and when I could get out I was able to go spend the night a peoples house more. In the end, I think that is still a good idea, maybe just every third Christmas or something. I do think that trying to stay at home either on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day may be a good compromise for us. One side is already considering doing a New Years Day get together which would work out great.  We will see. This is for sure, last Christams was the last one that I will ran us ragged. I want Christmas to always be special for Evalyn, not frantic to get to the next stop to get gifts. But this year was stress free for the most part. We sure did miss everyone we didn't get to see. Hopefully we can make up for it for coming to visit and having visitors.
                       Wish that said, I really have to try and get some sleep which has been difficult lately.
Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had a nice Christmas! And you have no reason to be ashamed. You have helped others and you will continue to do so -- what goes around comes around.

    That luggage set sounds a little like one I saw at a thrift store once and wanted so badly, I had to talk myself out of buying it. I still wish I did! I'd love to see it. :)

    I love the idea of a vacation somewhere warm over Christmas and I hope that we can do it one day.

    It is also very very important to me that Emilie know that Christmas is not about the gifts so I intend to be pretty strict about that. She will actually just get one gift from "Santa" each year and the rest are from Mom & Dad.

    ReplyDelete