WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day Ground Zero, on To The Basement

The bag of stem cells.

Who knew you could smile through a transplant?
             Hello! Praise the Lord, the stem cells got here safely and I didn't have any reactions to receiving them. It wasn't really a big whoop, just like getting blood. My vitals had to be monitored over an hour and I had a nurse in the room watching me. My mom came up this morning and stayed with me and then Jonathan came for a while. I also The stem cells where not even frozen, so I got them fresh from overseas! God Bless my donor, I hope to meet her one day! We also had a good visit with his brother and our sister in law. I've decided that everyone gets a picture with a mask on since I'm stuck in here. Well, it makes since to me. I will have some pics up tomorrow of the masks visitors.
                   Remember when 911 happened and they called it ground zero but there was still a big whole in the ground from the rest of the building? Well that is still where I have to go and still have a long way to recovery, but this is one of the biggest steps! The picture is hard to read, but if you start at the left, I'm at the third line, which it BMT at day 0. Now my counts are dropping and will go into the "basement period". They say usually around day +10, the stem cells start to grow new bone marrow which makes new blood cells. Since it was an unrelated donor it may take a little longer. It looks like I'll be getting out of here within 2-3 weeks. Funny how fast time can go and how slow it can go at the same time. I wonder how many of you are thinking about all the things you didn't get done today because you didn't have enough time. I know, I have been there, no judgement, just a thought. I have my own issues to deal with. A fellow transplant patient had to go back in the hospital with pneumonia. Get well soon Janet!
               I don't know how this works, but somehow the chemo and radiation I received are still killing my immune system off, but it doesn't kill the stem cells. I will be on IV anti rejection medications each day, anti-everything pills, fluids, and will get platelets and blood as needed. I will also get some more chemo but I don't think it is as strong. Not sure at this point when they are doing that.  My peach fuss and the eyelashes that started to grow back will fall out again. No big deal. Mostly, I'm really don't want to get mouth sores, because they can be so painful and make it even harder to eat. I want to keep my weight up and not get too weak before going home. I have lost 7.5 lbs since being here, a lot in fluids I'm sure. I'm eating a little better now but I can't eat much at one time. I feel that my brain is a little clearer since the strong chemo is getting out of my system. As you know, since I tested positive for the cold virus, I have not been able to go the kitchen or out in the hall. I have been able to go off floor to walk, which is good for me. Well, since I have not been retested yet but my counts are so low, I can't even leave the floor now. So I'm saying "I can not leave the room!!!!" Holy crap, that really freaked me out. After the team left, I cried some because it is just all so horrible sometimes. You've been in a hospital room, I'm sure, it's small. I also got my hopes up a little about maybe being able to visit with Evalyn this weekend but they said I probably won't see her until I go home.  Now, I can get retested but the doc said that I will probably still test positive because even when you don't have a virus anymore, your body still sheds it. So I'm stuck, now what do I do? Poor poor hamsters in there little cages. At least they have a wheel.
              I know that when Paul was in prison, he had to come close to going crazy. It's not like he had the internet or a working toilet. I know that I will get through this, I just hope I'm still sane. Hopefully, now that my brain is clearer, I can do some more reading, playing my guitar, and of course paper work. I have the most wonderful employer who wants to see me through this... they are amazing. I mentioned a book the first week I was in here, A Bend in the Road, today I read something that inspired me. He said, " What a terrible danger it is for us to become trapped in the claustrophobia of the presences of our crisis." He goes on the talk about how God uses everything to mold and make us. We can't see the future, but we can see the past and what God has done. He said to make a list and to make sure to remind yourself of these things. That doesn't mean that there isn't going to be a lot of tears, anxiety, fear, etc, but it's what we do with it. It's taking it to the Lord and trusting him to see me through. And to see you though it.
My sweet husband and me watching, or trying to watch, a movie.
                 Something I have been pondering on the last few days is how we as humans never seem to be satisfied with any stage of our life. When I get to drive, when I get a job, when I get married, when I get pregnant, when I get that promotion, when I am better, when, when, when. Just listen to everyone, listen to yourself if you are doing it. I'm guilty of it everyday. For example, Jonathan is in school and is trying to find a job, in accounting if anyone reading this is hiring...., and that has been the goal for a while. Well, when he has a job, he isn't going to be home as much and who is to say I will like that any more than where we are now. Why can't we just be content where we are and trust the Lord. I think that is why we go through some of the trails that we have to face. If we don't, we might never be grateful for anything.
   Psalm 40:1-3  
1. I waited patiently for the LORD; 
   he turned to me and heard my cry. 
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit, 
   out of the mud and mire; 
he set my feet on a rock 
   and gave me a firm place to stand. 
3 He put a new song in my mouth, 
   a hymn of praise to our God. 
Many will see and fear the LORD 
   and put their trust in him.                

2 comments:

  1. Heather, when I was in for my BMT Dr. Khoury put me on Lexapro to help with anxiety. I fought not to take it but because of the constant weeping he insisted. Wow it helped me so much. I am a born again christian and thought I could handle it. These emotions that your going through and will go through are physical and you might need a little help. Don't let yourself be tortured when some meds are availaable. If you get mouth sores get the pain pump and ask for suction machine. Rinse your mouth with water and suction. If you kinew me and against pain medicine I was you would laugh at me suggesting this to you. But one day at time is what your looking for.

    I check your blog daily and our family is constantly lifting yours in prayer. I will check in tomorrow. Try to rest.

    charmainemarlow

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. Jon and I used to have these conversations about always looking for the next big thing. Like when ____ happens, THEN I will be happy...instead of just enjoying what we have right now. There is joy to be found every day in the little things if we just pay attention to them. I guess it's just human nature, but I have been working hard this past year especially to be grateful for those little things and focus on what I NEED vs. what I WANT.

    I hear Andy is visiting you today. He is such a sweet person...I treasure my precious baby brother and it makes me feel so good to know that you have a close relationship with him. I will be able to come see you next week as Jon is on spring break. I'll let you know. One day at a time, girl...love you.

    ReplyDelete