WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Defining a Date Night

Dating at the Botanical Gardens.

              “Every couple should have a weekly date night after children.” Heard that before? Well now that Jonathan is going to work full time and I’m grown up now and realize that you have to MAKE time to do what you want to do, we feel that it is important. However, what constitutes as a date.  Just going somewhere alone? Does running needed errands and going to a thrift store count? I don’t know. Not very romantic.  It would easier to have those if there was money to spend. Does a movie count, I mean you don’t even talk during a movie, at least if you are looking for a cheap pair of pants there is some interaction. We are too cheap for popcorn but we have been known to bring in random items such as honey baked ham sandwiches, pistachios, subway, and a beer to the dollar theatre. Yep, we are cheap at times.
              Maybe finding something in common such as going to a shooting range, dancing lessons, or taking turns finding something different.  Again,  the money thing, we gotta get out of the hole and we need another vehicle soon, preferably a four door truck or SUV that will hold the whole family (big dog too) and not kill my back when I get Evalyn out. Luckily my Dad is letting us borrow one of his cars for a while. Thanks! Does going to look at vehicles count as a date if we hold hands and kiss during a test drive? We are interested in the shooting lessons so we are going to check into it, maybe we can go 2x per month or so.
1st Anniversary 

             Finding consistent sitters is a whole other story. If we have to pay for someone that’s even less we can spend. We are coupon people, not the crazy kind no offense, but Athens always has great coupon books and we love them!  My best sitter here, and my closest code red person, is about to get married and move to Atlanta. She’s a country girl, I’m kinda hoping she comes back soon cause she is a good friend and I’m going to miss her a lot.
               Back to date night….. I’ll get back to you. Recommendations welcomed. 

3 comments:

  1. After Martha goes to bed, Chris and I sometimes sit in the garage, drink beer, and talk. That sounds so redneck, but we get a lot of talking done out there and we enjoy it! I just can't wait for the heat to subside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A weekly date night that involves spending money is just not feasible for us. But as you point out, it is just about committing to make time for each other. It doesn't matter what you do. Going to a thrift store counts, in my mind, if you have a good time together. Going on a test drive counts (although you might make the salesman uncomfortable). I'm anti-gun so I can't speak to that part. ;)

    We don't have sitters, but we try once a week, after Emilie goes to bed, just spending the evening together. No laptops. Sometimes no movies or TV, either -- just talking or playing a game together because we're actually friends and we LIKE each other. Ha. Even that is tough at times since I do my work at night, but I do think it's important. And then we are trying once a month or so to have my parents watch Emilie and do something a little bigger like dinner and a movie.

    Of course since we have been married for 16 years, I think it's different from a couple who has had a child after just a little while (like you guys :)). We had a LOT of good quality time alone together, so we are OK with sacrificing that when necessary.

    On the practical side, I am signed up for every coupon/deal thing I find -- Groupon, LivingSocial, etc. and would suggest it for you if you haven't already. There have been cheap movie tickets, good deals on restaurants, massages, plays, lots of fun things to do. Of course I know Athens already has a lot inexpensive things to do too.

    Have you looked for a babysitting co-op? I have heard of these, where you basically join up with other parents and take turns babysitting each others' kids. You earn "credits" when you watch their kids and vice versa. Of course it would be more difficult for you guys to do but hey, it's a thought.

    ReplyDelete