WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Monastery and Writing

They can even make a pine tree pretty.
DISCLAIMER: I wrote this at three different hence the change in tenses. No energy to change now, just know I do know what day it is today, I didn't yesterday, but I do today.

               I’m always a little anxious before going on trip. There’s a lot to remember you know, especially if you don’t really know what to expect. Plus I have to have a whole bag of meds and layers of clothing as I switch from hot to cold. There there are my “activities.” I brought my guitar, my book, my bible and devotional book, journal, and yoga mat. So far I have used all those. I almost brought my bike, but it wouldn’t have fit, my feet are super piggy right now so it’s hard for me to walk a long way.
This old elevator was awesome, you had to use a key to "call" it down.

             You can read more about the history of the monastery at www.trappist.net. It’s a really neat place, peaceful, loving, and relaxing. They have a lot of different types of retreats but you  can also just come for a private retreat, I think that is what I will do next time. I think it would be great if our small group came here for two days in the spring.
Look at my eyelashes.... pay no attention to the the moon face....

            My Grandma Judy brought me from Athens to here, long story, my cuz grandma but we claim her. We stopped and got some peach ice cream to celebrate my 100 days, and just because I like it. We went a beautiful way from Athens to Conyers, through Rutledge  and so on. Judy’s a great driver, not that she shouldn’t be, but she is not a spring chick anymore. For weeks I have been wanting to get a picture of me running across one of the many lines of white wrapped hay bales. It’s one of these urges I just can’t get over. So we pulled over but the hay bales where on there sides and when you get up to these thinks they are huge! I’m going to have to bring a step ladder, or my husband to boost me up. Let’s just say it didn’t work out and I need to work out.
Hey Cox cousins.... I found Nan and Pop's old couch, it's in the Gutalupe Chapel.

               My Papa Jack brought me to the monastery before and I have brought the girls in the past. My room is simple, yet comfortable and I’m sharing a bathroom. I didn't take a shower the whole time because since being in the hospital I'm really weird about bathrooms and this one smelled like mold and the floor always seemed to be wet. Yuck. One of the most exciting starts of the trip was riding in the old elevator which requires a key and has a medal door that you have to open and close. It is very small and I just felt I should be dressed up, with gloves, and the whole movie star look. They have prayer services that you can choose to go to or not. This is a Roman Catholic monastery so of course they have mass but they also have a couple more types of services throughout the day. I have made it to the 4am service/meditation both days. Didn’t even set an alarm, but then skipped mass and came back in for breakfast. I would like to come back Nov/Dec when it is cooler. One of the things that I love about the place is that they have GA’s first conservation burial ground. Check it out, it’s a cool idea! I learned how they chant and one of them really seems to keep my Zen going even when I arrive home to chaos, which I did.
Each brother is part of the community for life once they join.

         Not that I have not come away with anything about writing, but I didn’t expect there to be a little bit more lecturing/teaching/structure and less QA. I just got up and walked out of the last session to write and take a nap. And my butt hurt. Others seemed to be enjoying it but I was falling asleep. It was my normal nap time.  I have been up since 3:30 am. Like I need an excuse.  I have come away with quite a few reading selections of books they recommended, some good quotes, and the feeling that I don’t have to be an editor, not that I ever did. I met some very nice people and would like to write more about them once I check out some of their writings/ blogs. My favorite person I met, is a young lady from Marietta, you know who you are. J  Oddly enough, I met one lady who’s husband passed after a BMT, one lady who’s husband will need one because he has CLL, and one lady who’s friend had a BMT. There was only about 25 of us in the group. We watched a DVD of a writer speaking named, Annie Lamott, and it was probably the best thing that the writing part of the retreat brought to me. She was just so funny in a quirky way about her writing but also about life. She also made it real that getting “published” is not going to “free” you or “make your life” just like have a child for those reasons won’t do it. She wrote many books but the one I’m interested in is Bird by Bird and before I have another child I’d like to read “Operating Instructions”.


              One thing that I still trying to wrap my head around is censoring feelings about certain people on a blog vs a book. I think there will be a day, if not just for me, that I will add more details of my life and specific issues that have gone on or is going on now. Things that have been done to me, that I have forgiven, or things I have seen done to others.  But on a blog for the whole world to see, just like that, seems like it would just make some relationships worse. However, I’m a believer in the truth and so I think one day I will have to cross that bridge with a few people and decide if it is worth it or not. For now, you only get 85%. That pretty good considering I’m not playing with a full deck. Never was good at cards. 
Anyone know what this symbol means?

1 comment:

  1. You have lovely eyelashes!

    The retreat sounds wonderful and right up my alley. Sometime I'm going. I am glad that you went and got something out of it.

    I am very private online in terms of what I write about my family and personal thoughts. I write a lot about all of that, it's just not for public consumption. I would like to write a book someday about some of those things, but there is definitely the issue of hurting people's feelings or burning bridges.

    That does look a LOT like those couches...

    The symbol is the PX or Chi-Rho -- the first two letters of the Greek word for Christ (Christos), Chi (X) and Rho (P). Supposedly the Emperor Constantine saw this symbol in the sky before an important military battle and heard the words, "by the sign, conquer." It's also known as a Christogram. =)

    ReplyDelete