WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

This is your brain on drugs.

               Those last two rounds of chemo, in the hospital, seriously fried my brain. Dr. K said that I only get those rounds once and I can see why. My little neurons are trying either  to come back to life or jolt themselves out of suspension. I rarely know the day most of the time let alone the date.

                This time last year, I was hiking with my family (Mom, Dad, Daniel, Jonathan and Evalyn) at Cloudland Canyon. I had terrible bone pain in my shoulder that seemed like it was moving to my jaw. I took it as side effects to the oral chemo I was on. We made it 5 miles with a baby in tow and Daniel racing towards lunch. As the week progressed, my pain increased. I remember calling my boss and telling her I couldn’t work the rest of the week, calling my mom and telling her to get here now, and telling Jonathan that I felt like I was dying. We went to the doctor and the oral medication weren't just quite working so he put me on something else. On Halloween weekend, Corynne came with me to carve pumpkins at our neighborhood's fall party. Later that night, Jonathan was Joseph, I was Mary, and Evalyn was baby Jesus. We won the costume contest. Heck, how can you say no to baby Jesus?
                The next day I was at the doctor in Athens and they sent me via Ambulance to Emory. My Pop wanted to take me but they said my platelets were so low I could bleed to death if we got in a wreck. Well, the rest of the story is in the blogs…..
             Leaving the hospital on Wednesday was great. I had a good day on Thursday due to my mom helping out and getting to go cancer yoga… man that was some hard yoga. I had to wear a mask but it felt so good to do something. Then I had to go to Athens Regional to get Platelets. YEAAA. I did get to meet a lot of people and tell them about the Lord and about be the match. Hey, this is cool, they were having GA Football day at the hospital and I got to shake Mark Richt's (the coach) hand. He told me that he hopes I get to feeling better, I said me too. I was hoping to get signatures of some of the guys on the team but they were done before I was done with the infusion.
               I have been sick on my stomach since Friday and, no lie, have lied in bed for most of 3 days. I go back to Georgia Cancer in Athens tomorrow and to Emory on Wednesday. If they have the new oral chemo there I will start taking it. These side effects are killing me. I have to ask myself quite a bit if it is worth it, I know that it is to the people that care about me . 
              Mom took Evalyn for a few days and it’s a good thing with me being sick and all. Please pray that the stomach sickness and the fatigue go away.

5 comments:

  1. Heather, I sure hope some of this fatigue and pain subside quickly for you. I saw this passage in one of my books and thought it appropriate:

    Use every trial that comes to you as an opportunity to improve yourself. When you are passing through the difficulties and tests of life, you usually become rebellious: Why should this happen to me?" Instead, you should think of every trial as a pickax with which to dig into the soil of your consciousness and release the fountain of spiritual strength that lies within. Each test should bring out the hidden power that is within you as a child of God, made in His image.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are home and blogging. I am so proud of you Heather and pray the new oral chemo is ready and does the deal and stops the chromosomal mutation immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, sorry I was pm on the download for a little bit I was depressed and angry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally understandable. It is good to acknowledge and work through those emotions. I think the mental battles are often tougher than the physical ones, not that either are by any means easy. You are still my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather - it was nice to bump into you at Emory today. You look great! Keep up the fight, because you are a huge inspiration. I am hoping to get a good report from Dr. K today. We are lucky to have him...

    ReplyDelete