WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Well the good new is that I DON't have a brain tumor

Enjoys nature like her mom and big sis Corynne.

Few pics you may see of me ... so get an eye full.... wait thats a stomach. 

She loves her little outside treasures.

She was either looking for my phone or found a new place for the acorns. 
                             
               As I was laying in the most annoying sounding machine in the world for 30 min ( jonathan and sean, I know you are thinking of dumb and drummer),  I was able to ponder about what if it has spread to brain, not that it still couldn't. I kinda came to the conclusion that if that was the case, I would go with the flow and at anytime that I may be faced with dealth, I will try to die with some dignity and not a hole in my head, although my granny says we should be as humane to humans as we are to animals. That thought process gave me some peace today. I will not lose my dignity though and do not feel bad for that. God said that was ok too. He has lead me to several people already. I gotta hold on to the fact that my own pain helps others.
                I met a lady who's sister is dying, they were coming to take her to hospice. She has such a rare cancer that here is only 8 documented cases in the world. I met her the next day and she said she would like to listen to me sing, in her own way, she can't talk. After I sang some worship songs for her, I was able to lead her through the sinner's prayer. Not sure if she said it in her heart or is already a child of God. Thank goodness we watched that awesome movie with Robert Devell "The Apostle".  It reminded me again about witnessing to other even though it may be tough. She had some tears running down her cheeks and she seemed to be happy. I played for another guy, and he requested for classic rock, so I did some songs for him and it seemed to cheer him up.


           
       I'm sure that you all realize that this has been a very difficult few days. Evalyn has been so depressed that sometimes she won't play, and just lays on the floor. So sad. Jonathan is taking off two days from work, Grandma Judy is helping out one day, and my brother and Father are helping on Wednesday. Mom will have Evalyn again from Thursday to maybe Saturday... depends if I get out of here early or not.
      The only time I have really about lost it in here was last night, after 4 other med errors that day, when I had my 5th night migraine in a row and the PA was suppose to get the IV pain meds in place for middle of the night and it didn't get done. I made it until 6 am to call Dr. Khoury, he said that he was surprised I waited that long. I told him that I will not be so nice next time. Either way, the team has to get it together and realize that I advocate for myself, know my meds, know when I take them, and don't have to wear this damn arm band if I don't want to. I also refused a prego test.... hello???? A complication beside the migraines is my blood sugar level due to the high doses of steroids and I have already had 3 shots today. Please pray that I don't get mouth sores, this is new chemo for me, so the side effects are unknown. The time of chemo is unknown. Heck, I don't even know if they have the orders.
      I'm about to be flagged again by the dietary department for sending food back. Don't worry, I am eating. I made my own salad and tomato sandwich today. I've requested muscadines from a friend in Athens, keeping my figures crossed, and have lots of snacks and people bringing me good food. I've had great visitors including my hubby, sister, brother ( who is one of the few people that I'm truly glad to see when I wake up), He sat in here listening to me snore for 10 min before mom got here.
       What's today? Oh yeah, Sunday, he he, I called my mom thinking it was monday and she was on her way to work at 6am, then later I labeled some of my food with a date in May. Wow. I saw mom yesterday and maybe someone else... I'm sleep deprived beyond doubt. Grandma Judy came to see me... she just can't stay still, she will be driving to athens and taking care of Evalyn all day on Tuesday.  I did miss this movable bed, thats the next temperpedic bed purchase when I'm rich. I also had a wonderful visit with Evalyn , Jonathan, Anna, and her boy friend Charlie. They were able to help out last night so jonathan could watch the game at Daniels house and came to help Jonathan on the drive down. Evalyn was and is very interested in picking up acorns, sticks, and leaves, so we know how an outside basket for her treasures that stays outside until she decides to stop eating tasting them. Jonathan's cousins, that I had not met in person, come to see me. I gave them a baby potty, it's vintage and super cute.
      The next few day are really going to determine the plan for my treatment. We are still waiting on the labs, possible new donor cells for those "booster" shots I may can get, and if all else fails, another transplant... that is not what the Dr. wants nor I. But I will have some more rules... taking a step back. He said that he will let me know how far back when I'm discharged and my status. I'm in blast crisis again but there is still 20% left of the donor cells in my bones. Cancer is weird... if it kills you, it kills itself, seems like it would want to be more of host for a long period of time. Since I have been here, I have told about 6 emory employees that about 'Be the Match' and how easy it is to be donor.
       I have plenty to do, with my 12 hobbies, so don't be disappointed that I don't have an awesome view, I like low light and I think this room is very quite. I think the view make the visitors better, like I'm going to stand at the window and be like "oh well, there is the outside world, that I can't go in"  No thanks, I'll just recreate my little reality here. Crap, forgot to get people sign the guestbook, don't forget when you come!!!! I have my Dad and a fellow ALL surviver coming tomorrow and on Wednesday, Danielle, her mom, and my my cousin Andy will be coming. Jonathan will come again on Thursday, but I'm not sure if I will see Evalyn... again depends on my counts.


Sister Anna and boyfriend Charles.. he does dishes, but they ate my cake.... bad move.
               Anyone willing to fix some homemade for Jonathan would be helpful, even if I get to come home this week it's going to rough with Emory appointments, transfusions, more labs, etc. He's not going to be able to take off next week unless it is an emergency. Please continue to keep our family in your prayers. I'm convinced that watching someone you love go through this is as hard as going through it, well almost.They are helpless a lot of the time, I can at least pull the cancer card. Good new is, my hair should not fall out yet, bad news is that my leg hair looks like it needs a weed-whacker.
Really, is this nasty bruise on my body? ughhhh. 

6 comments:

  1. Heather,
    For some reason I am not able to post on your blog site, but maybe that is best. Thank you for blogging, you have and are always in my thoughts and prayers. Stay sharp sister, I am sure you saved your life again with finding errors. I kept and keep a spreadsheet of every med, when they or i administer it, amounts, with food/with out food. Also I made them print out the information sheet that tells you what can't be mixed with it side effects, etc. Also, before every round of chemo and discharge I requested a calendar complete with chemo meds on it. They wouldn't and couldn't keep up with all the changes as I was on 37 meds at one time during hospital stay. Also, it is easier to be a self-advocate when you have ALL the facts. You are doing brilliant and I tell that Leukemia you may NOT go into the CNS.
    What a great story about the two people you ministered to and Heather we both know that there are so many more you do not even know about, but God does. I am believing that you were sent back to hospital to touch those lives and praying God get you outta there healthy and whole ASAP.
    Are you still in that clinical trial? If so, I am praying that you be the one getting the kinase inhibitor, though the doctors are not supposed to know because it is a double blind study. With ALL Ph+ we need to be on either Gleevec or Sprycel or relapse is too much of a given. Each time it is harder to fight. But you will be victorious, I know that I know it! We are not "normal" nor are we statistics. Of course you will create your own Oasis in your mind. Yes, you will get mad and do not want to endure the pain and trauma, but God is your best friend and healer, always there and you trust Him, cause he can be trusted. Sharing your journey is good for you (mentally) and good for those who read and respond to your posts. It is beautiful how God uses the tiniest detail to meet each of our needs in the greatest of detail in the perfect timing.
    Sending you a goody package and supporting you from Florida. Hoping the hospital will forward it if it doesn't get there by Thursday. I'll check on the shipping.

    jill k

    ReplyDelete
  2. What caused the bruise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were trying to get an iv started to give me platelets to get my picc line in, whoo hoo. Then I have a bunch more from all the insulin shots, the steroids they have to give me to prepare my body for the chemo tomorrow is making my blood sugar high. Then I have 15 or more just cause my platelets were so low. Looks like Jonathan beat me up, as if....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris and I have been praying for you, Jonathan, and Evelyn like crazy! I am thinking about you often. When we get on our feet again, I want to help out. Evelyn can come stay with us some if she needs to. Ella would love to have a playmate:) I hope you get to come home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like they put in a centerline from your pictures. I know when I bruise or swell up especially around my eyes (sometimes with the Gleevec and after other chemos) it does look like someone socked me. I liked the trifusion center line much better than the PICC in the arm or poking. Thankfully you have insurance. It is so sad to see people who don't and have to be poked. Praying for your day that the chemo stops the blast crisis and puts you back in remission right away. When you said 15 or more, transfusions? What are your counts? PLT? WBC? RBC? I am flashing back to chemo IVs, IV pushes, interthecal spinal taps of Cyclophosphamide, Mesna, Dexamethasone, Doxorubicin, Vincristine, Dasatnib, Rituximab, Methotrexate, Leucovorin, Cytarabine, and Methylpegnisolone. Praying the doctors receive wisdom from God, the great physician who knows your every chromosome, and that you can be out of there ASAP and home recovering. May the love of God surround you and you be lifted above the battle. May no mucusitis come your way, lots of ice and frappuccinos.

    ReplyDelete