WELCOME

Hello,
Welcome to my Blog! Yes, I have been in the fight of my life against Leukemia, insomnia, depression, side effects of medications, molting skin, pooping my pants and this list goes on.... however, I still love my life, and that's what this blog is about Real Life. I hope to meet others who trails have brought them closer to the Lord and molded them for the next step in God's will. In January 2011 , my family, physician, and Be the Match was featured on a Fox 5 news story about bone marrow donors and transplants. In March, I was interviewed on Atlanta and Company along with Be the Match. I was chosen to sing the national anthem at the Be the Match Run last year and will also be doing it this year, along with some other songs. My team, no thanks to me, raised over $4,000 and raised more than any other team! Please join my team this year or consider donating here at the Run those Stem cells out ! Team I was also chosen for a patient advocacy panel for the international council meeting at Be the Match in MN in November. How exciting!! I ended up not being able to attend due to the relapse. I had hoped I could help raise awareness about how easy it is to sign up to be a donor and how many people need your help! Please go to bethematch.org and sign up! I was able to have my bone marrow (same as stem cell) transplant at the end of March thanks to a 22 year old donor oversees that I hope to meet her one day. As I came up on my 6th month mark and continued to add more normal activities to our lives, I relapsed, meaning that the that the cancer had mutated and the leukemia came back. I spent 2 more weeks at Emory and some other nights here and there and now I'm on a drug from the FDA. I have a compassion waiver so I am able to get it. I have to take it day by day sometimes hour by hour. Time keeps moving and my little girl is growing up. I'm lucky that I'm getting to see it. I continue to praise God for his wonderful blessings he has shown us including my wonderful husband Jonathan, baby girl Evalyn Rose, supportive family and friend, great medical care, new readers, and the chance to make a big difference, even if that means being a Lab Rat.
God Bless You!

Please read, comment, enjoy, learn, grow, LOVE LIFE.

Most Recently I have started a booth at a local consignment store with handmade jewelry from friends, crafts, and my own art from recycled materials. It is called DAY by DAY. God was very clear with me starting this. Please look over to the right of blog and click on Day by Day to see some pictures. I'm just getting started but I am taking orders from people that I know. You will be able to personalize items, etc. I just haven't decided how I will be selling them via internet yet. But for now, the jewelry is at A Weekend A'fair in Athens, GA and will hopefully be at some stores downtown soon.

Friday, March 23, 2012

Medical update 3/23 - Don't know nothin'

Today, last year, I was starting my first day of radiation in prep for the BMT. WOW, a year since the worse thing you can put in your body was killing me. Drah.
It was dreadful.

Staying still that long.... more dreadful. 


I have not blogged in a few days because I was in a lot of pain, mostly in the middle of the night and was getting exhausted. I didn't know anything more so I didn't have much to say. You can always get in touch with Jonathan if you have not heard from me in a while. I was admitted on Tuesday thinking that I would be here one night, and do some tests that night or the next morning. I brought some stuff to do but mainly I wish I had brought my guitar.  Plus, being on this pain medication, I can hardly concentrate long enough to write anything. There has been a lot of self-advocacy since I have gotton here. I think I haven't spent as much time here on this side of  the hospital as my VIP status seems to be working better in clinic now, and my vision keeps coming and going.    There I go nodding off again.

Tues night, I was just so frustrated about being in such a  big hurry to get here for nothing. I got here and didn't get any pain meds til almost midnight. On Wed, I didn't get any tests and luckily, my sister-in-law came and brought lunch and I was able to meet baby Will. My mom came also came and brought food and we tried to watch a movie, but it just wasn't worth it and I kept falling asleep. Later my cousin came and brought Locos and was so yummy, I had Jennifer bring me the same thing today. I really realizes later that my cousin Andy is one of my best friends. AWWWW. Somehow you keep alluding my camera..... In the mean time, my Mom, Daniel, Dad, Faye, and sister Anna and the watch dogs are holding down the fort.
My sister was worried about me and got her days of work switched. She is so sweet. 


I finially had an MRI today (Thurs). They really are awful. I feel bad that I didn't realize how uncomfortable they can be for someone my age, let alone my poor grandmother. I was there for 3 hours and someone finally said ok, that was enought for that day and we probably get the hips done today.  There was no help button... wish someone had me on tape yelling, "is anyone there" "my feet are cold!!" "you forgot to turn the music back on", none of which was heard. By the time I got out of there, I was a fragile wreck. At least I get to listen to music off of pandora, not my Ipod though, because I killed it in sweet tea :). I didn't get to see Dr. K today and that was a little disappointing. I know that he is making the decisions though.
We snuck out of the hospital for a treat. Needed some veggies. 



Today, I get more blood work, more MRI's, then who knows.... I don't know if I'm going home today. I do know that I'm not eating this food. Other goals will be to fill out a ton of paperwork to see if we can qualify for  more assistane with medication and copays to offset things like needing a small suv and sadly a new roof. One of my fav uncles is in ICU right now so keep him in your prayers. He said that he is not in a lot of pain, which is great. I will never forget the times as an early adult he would slip me some extra money because he knew I was broke. Today my mom, Evalyn, and I are suppose to be spending time doing some stuff together... maybe I can talk her into staying longer. I miss my mom but glad that she is able to come be with her granddaughter.
At least I match. 

Now, it's time to get some coffee, have a devotional, maybe some yoga, work on the family calendar, figure out our babysitter schedule, try to sell things on ebay, but... I won't be changing diapers, which doesn't sound so bad, I miss my little girl....  work on some fun blogs, like Evalyn stuff and our St Pat's day, and try to find something decent to eat. Maybe, go to the musaem if I get bored since it is free for patients, anyone want to come on down?

5 comments:

  1. Hurry up and wait is the worst. I hope you have answers soon.

    Andy is one of the sweetest people ever. :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope things work out well and you will soon be home. One of my circle ladies has a niece named Katie who works nights at the BMT unit there but can't remember her last name. You are on our church prayer list at CFUMC in Conyers and we said a special prayer for you at our circle meeting this week. I would like to stop by and see you tomorrow but we have a 9-5 work day for Kathryn's play tomorrow. I'll be fitting and sewing costumes! Between yard work and the play I don't know if I am coming or going, but that's nothing new! Love, G'ma Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear sweet Heather. You are the most valiant person I know. How I wish the pain and discomfort you feel could be transferred to me- I would do it in a heartbeat. I finished the Emperor of all Maladies book and it is full of hopeful but guardedly optimistic stories. I have no words that haven't been said before so I will just say again that we think of you every day and pray for you and for the doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl, If I lived close enough I would go to the museum with you! :) Thanks for keeping us all updated. We continue to pray for you and yours. MRI's are laughably awful, indeed! It's such an unusual thing to be stuck there wondering if anyone hears you! I hope you get great rest tonight - free of pain. That is what I'll be praying for. Beyond that I pray you find some laughs...from t.v., book, magazine, or even Evalyn or Jonathan. It really is such wonderful medicine. Remember how much you are loved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just think its awesome that u have high spurts and cheerful through this ordeal. u truly are an amazing person. Melissa Murray.

    ReplyDelete